Severus helped Hermione with her coat as they left the restaurant. Again he took her arm as they walked down the street toward their next destination.

“You enjoy dancing, I trust?” Severus asked his companion.

“I love to dance,” replied Hermione. “Well, not the kind of dancing they do at school so much as REAL dancing, like Salsa or Tango or Swing.”

Severus’ brows raised, “You can Swing?”

“After three summers of dance camp, I’d say I definitely can Swing,” she tossed back.

“Excellent. Then you should enjoy this . . .” He led her to a club door, from which spilled forth lively music. They entered and saw several couples Swinging expertly on the dance floor, while several others sat at cocktail tables enjoying the entertainment.



“When did you have time for dance camp, ‘Mione?” asked Harry in confusion.

She glared back at him, “When you were at the Dursleys and we weren’t hiding from Voldemort, that’s when. No one ever said I had to tell you EVERYTHING about my life!”



“Don’t tell me YOU can dance?” asked Hermione as Severus helped her remove her cloak again. “I wouldn’t have thought you’d be the type.”

“Appearances can be deceiving, Miss Granger,” said Severus as he took her hand and led her onto the floor for the next song.

The camera watched from afar as the two danced. At first it was a little awkward, as the Hermione accustomed herself to the queues that Severus gave for various movements. By the second song however they had adapted to each others styles and were becoming more adventurous. The program was too short to show all of this though, and cut in and out on their movements, but captured most of the essence.

Severus and Hermione were smiling at each other during a particularly lively swing number, their gaze breaking only to twirl and rotate about. The enjoyment on both parts seemed intense and genuine, and they both were laughing as the song ended and Severus walked Hermione over to a table for a short break.



“How very interesting,” whispered Hooch to McGonagall. “If I’d have known he could dance like that I would never have taken no for an answer at last year’s Valentine’s Ball.”

“You DIDN’T take no for an answer, Rolanda, if I recall correctly,” Minerva retorted.



“Would you like a drink,” he asked.

“Just some wine, thank you,” she replied, and watched him depart for the bar. The camera sat on Hermione for a long moment, catching the wistful expression on her face as she watched her enigmatic teacher, who had shown a very different side of himself today.

As Severus was walking back toward her, a striking lady of about thirty caught his arm. She was dressed in a provocatively revealing red dress and heels, her blond hair captured in a stylish up-do. “Sir, my partner turned his ankle and left me here all alone. Might I trouble you for a dance?”

Severus looked blankly past to Hermione sitting at the table watching him. “Of course, just let me deliver this first.” The lady in red followed Severus to the table and smiled saccharinely at Hermione as Severus placed the wine glasses on the table.

“Why don’t you enjoy your wine, I’ll return shortly,” he instructed before taking the lady in red by the arm and leading her off onto the dance floor.

This song was a tango, and a wild one at that. Severus’ partner was as expert as he and the two twirled about the floor as if they’d invented the dance. His gaze lingered on her décolletage as he swooped her backwards, and he had a hungry glint in his eye as they stared each other down and moved in synchronicity.



“You owe me ten galleons, Pomona,” whispered Professor Sinistra to Professor Sprout. “I told you Severus wasn’t gay.”



Hermione watched the entire spectacle, stoically at first, then with a growing look of nausea. Who knew for certain what was going on in her head, but her face spoke volumes, and it spoke of jealousy. It spoke of her wanting to stride out onto the dance floor, land a good solid punch on the whore-in-red, and take her dance partner back.

When the dance was through Severus and the lady in red were walking back towards Hermione when the lady stopped abruptly and pulled him close to her again. She pulled his head close to hers and whispered something in his ear, too softly for Hermione or the camera to hear.

Severus chuckled and gave the woman a squeeze, “Delectable as the offer is, my dear, I’m afraid I must decline. I’m on babysitting duty, you see. Perhaps another time?”



The Great Hall was filled with horrified gasps!



The camera whirled back to Hermione and the horrified look of shock planted on her face. Her eyes welled up with tears as she stood and strode towards the door, head held high. She retrieved her cloak from the attendant and departed.

Then the camera returned to Severus and his dance partner, who had watched Hermione’s departure silently.

“Well, darling,” she said as she drew Severus back onto the dance floor, “so much for babysitting.”



The ending credits rolled and the hum in the Great Hall became a roar as students and faculty alike began discussing the surprise ending of the show. The majority of the discussion seemed to separate into two camps – those who mocked Hermione for having a crush on Snape and those who mocked Hermione for being rejected by Snape. The former were primarily boys who failed to see the appeal of the newly debonair Snape, and the latter were mainly girls convinced that THEY’D be able to hold Snape’s interest better than an aging red-dressed tart.

Hermione herself sat facing her shoes, refusing to respond to Harry and Ron’s repeated attempts to talk to her. She ignored everything as if she were surrounded by a silencing charm.

The Fab Five watched this in satisfaction for a few moments, then rose to depart, waving to all as they left.

“That was perfect!” boasted Ted. “It was an amazing plan just when we intended to make it look like Hermione had a crush on Severus, but can you believe how she played right into our hands?”

Thom laughed, “We owe the boys a bonus for capturing all the perfect moments the way they did.”

“And let’s not forget the bang-up editing job with the student interviews,” mentioned Kyan. “Did you see Harry’s face? ‘I was talking about Professor Dumbledore!’” he mocked.

“And hiring the actress to seduce Sevvie away was a brilliant move, if I do say so myself!” gushed Carson.

Jai, however, seemed a little uncomfortable, “Guys, you don’t perhaps think we were a little too harsh? I mean, you remember how cruel teenagers can be. We’ve opened up a big can o’ humiliation for Hermione.”

The others pondered for a moment, then shook their heads. “Nah,” said Carson. “That’ll teach her never to mess with the Fab Five, ever again.”

“You’ve got me thinking, though,” mentioned Ted, “Severus really seemed to enjoy talking to Hermione throughout dinner. Do you think it was all an act?”

“Ugh,” gagged Carson, “she is WAY too young for him.” Thom nodded his agreement.

“Who knows,” replied Kyan. “It doesn’t really matter. Severus has his new look, we’ve had our revenge, I’d say anything else is just lagniappe.”

“Well done, queers,” they boasted, giving each other the ‘High Five’ as they headed for the car that would begin their journey home.




“Hey Hermione, are you going to Hogsmeade this weekend?” asked Parvati.

Before Hermione could answer, Padma cut in, “Of course she is, they couldn’t find a babysitter to leave her behind!”

The girls burst out laughing as they walked away. Hermione felt herself tear up again. It’s been a week already, would she never live this down? Harry and Ron constantly complained about all the attention the ‘new Snape’ was getting, and Hermione continually reminded them that at least they were getting a new Quidditch pitch for their troubles, which usually shut them up. But she was the one bearing the brunt of it all.

Being rejected hurt like hell. Being publicly rejected was even worse. Being publicly rejected by Severus Snape was unthinkable. Hermione berated herself again for her all-around stupidity. She was stupid to have brought the Fab Five here at all, let alone on false pretenses. She was stupider to have thought Snape might actually have enjoyed her company on their ‘date’. And stupidest of all was that she herself had enjoyed it.

Silly little girl, Snape had called her time and time again. Well, she certainly proved it this time. Why she could think for a moment that a man old enough to be her father would ever enjoy her company or find her attractive was beyond her. So what if they shared an interest in potions and learning. So what if they danced well together, ok, better than well together. She, Hermione, was still a kid and Severus, no, Professor Snape, was still a grownup and she was an absolute dunce to have let herself forget it.

And Snape! How dare he lead her on? What right did he have to act all nice and sweet and gentlemanly, wooing me with talk of theoretical magical metaphysics? For seven years he never so much as gave Gryffindor any points for my work in class and then he has the gall to intimate that I’m a ‘joy to teach’?

And what WAS that thing with my nose about anyway? No teacher should ever touch a student that way, I mean, he LICKED his finger after he touched me! Gross!

And the way he danced with me, I mean, come on! He had his hands all over my shoulder blades, and the way he looked at me, totally inappropriate and provocative. Well, maybe not as provocative as the way he looked at that fluffed-up whore but still, he was acting like he enjoyed it! And I was a better dancer than she anyways, at least I didn’t have to shove my knockers in his face to get his attention.

Maybe that’s it, she thought, looking down at her size-B chest. Maybe it’s the knockers. Or lack thereof. She shook her head, pushing the thought away. It didn’t matter. All that mattered was that she had been a fool to let herself fall for a Professor and that she’d deserved everything she got.

Wiping away the last of her tears, Hermione returned to her room. She put the days’ humiliation from her mind and began to read Hogwarts: A History for the 127th time, hoping that she wouldn’t find the Fab Five debacle in its pages.

Hermione had been reading for over an hour when she heard a “tap-tap-tap” at her window. A strange, small, black owl was standing on the windowsill, with a parchment strapped to his leg. Hermione opened the window and the bird bounded in, presenting its leg to her. She gently removed the parchment and made to send the bird on its way, but it refused to leave. She gave it a little push, knocking it on its bird-bum, but it stood up and glared at her.

“For Merlin’s sake,” she muttered as she opened the scroll.

“Dear Miss Granger,

There is an old muggle saying with which I’m sure you are familiar, that reads something like, “This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you.” While the phrase is most often used before a parent gives a child a much-needed thrashing, I do sense some parallels with our current situation.

Sometimes, in the course of administering a punishment, one goes too far and lives to regret the outcome. Methinks the lesson recently administered to you was unnecessarily harsh. I must myself accept much of the blame for this, and offer my abject apology for my part. Though it will probably be of little consolation, know that it was not my idea, but that of those Muggles who you invited to torment me. Had they been on our side during the War, the Dark Lord surely would have fallen years ago.

Again, I apologize for my role in your present predicament, and hope that you will find it within yourself to forgive me. I have not had such stimulating dinner conversation in many years, as I truthfully said at the time I know so few people who have the thirst for knowledge that we do. I find that I must ask if you would care for a reprise sometime? An afternoon tea, perhaps, away from cameras and mischievous Muggles? I confess I’d rather like to give babysitting a try again.

Yours,

S. Snape”




Authors Note: I find myself torn as to how to end this. I myself enjoy the HG/SS ship but know that there are many who do not. Thus, in an attempt to satisfy all involved, I will allow this story to end in two separate places. One is the section that follows, and the other is the ‘Epilogue’ in the next chapter. If you would like to ignore any possibility or hint of there ever being more than friendship between the Evil Potion Master and his student, take my advice and skip the Epilogue.

End Authors Note.


Ending One:

Hermione sat and stared at the parchment before her. On one hand, she still felt that Professor Snape had cruelly humiliated her, and she was not ready to forgive him that. On the other hand, she felt vindicated that he had, in fact, enjoyed her company. She kept no illusion that he was offering her anything but friendship, he had indicated nothing more and she would not try to read more into his words than what he said. But she too rarely found someone to stimulate her intellectually. Certainly Ron and Harry, though dear friends and by no means stupid, had not the ability (much less the desire) to discuss complex theories with her, and sometimes she really wanted to talk about something more important than Quidditch and well, Quidditch.

Could Snape be leading her on again? Possibly. But she didn’t think so. Cruel as he could be, and was, he could surely see that revenge was being meted out continually with no need of further action from him. He really did sound sorry, if that was possible.

And if he was sorry, thought Hermione wickedly as she began penning her response, he could be sorry a bit longer.