Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Ayerf for the beta.
Epilogue. No Solution in Spinner’s End

John Random, the vampire responsible for the assassination of the Woodyard family two years ago, received his punishment yesterday in one of the rooms of the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry of Magic. This case had caused an uproar unprecedented in the wizarding world because of the utter horror that had greeted the Aurors when they arrived at the Woodyards' house. Imagine, dear readers, an entire family, from the grandparents to the breastfed baby, left bloodless in a parody of a family gathering.

It’s comforting to know those creatures can’t commit their hideous crimes against humans with complete immunity anymore. John Random, who was kept prisoner by a very complex spell, had swallowed a glass of Polyjuice and was indefinitely transformed into a Muggle. We, journalists for the
Daily Prophet, profusely thank Mister Snape for developing the trans-species process. Without it, we would be at the mercy of those bloodthirsty monsters that are the diurnal vampires.

Now that John Random has become human again, it will be impossible for him to turn into a vampire again, as proved by several experiences these last years. Therefore he will spend his remaining years in Azkaban, closely guarded by the Dementor assigned to him.


Hermione tossed the newspaper on the breakfast table with contempt, missing the jam pot by a couple of centimetres. Her greying hair fluttered around her face. Severus, who had already read the article, subscribed to her point of view. They had vanquished Voldemort and his clique of zealots thirty years ago, only to feel like going back to square one. And to think that Eileen, who was going to finish her studies at Hogwarts in a few months, would have to live in a world where being close-minded was becoming the norm.

“It’s disgusting,” his wife exclaimed. “The diurnal vampires aren’t all bad. That John Random was a psychopath. How he acted had nothing to do with his species! And it’s not their fault if they need blood to live.”

“I know, Hermione,” Severus answered calmly, never ceasing to butter his toast. His attitude was a perfect contrast with the boiling indignation in his black eyes. “More and more of them are willing to embrace the Cullens’ way of life and to drink animal blood. And those who aren’t strong enough for that volunteer to execute criminals. But they scare people. You know how scared people react?”

She nodded. She knew only too well. “Yes. And that fear is reciprocal, if the persistent rumours at the Ministry are to be believed. The Volturi are said to want to reach an agreement with wizarding authorities everywhere in the world.”

Severus sighed but did not say more. The Snapes finished their breakfast in silence. Each time the diurnal vampires made the headlines, Severus was reminded of the events that had led him to the Cullens, who were now family friends. It had started when an Auror (what was his name already?), indebted to the Mafia, had overheard Harry’s and Severus’s conversation about the latter’s process. In retrospect, he had to admit that it had been imprudent to discuss it within the Ministry walls. Said Auror, anxious to save his miserable life, had spilled the beans to his blackmailer. It had resulted in an expedition in Eastern Europe.

As soon as he was back from Moscow, Severus had entrusted his process to the Department of Mysteries, where it had been securely kept since then. Later, the veterinary magical science had been revolutionised, thanks to his discovery. Alas, the Ministry of Magic had also used it for its own goals, specifically the control of magical creatures such as dragons, manticores and acromantulas. Even the Dementors were under control nowadays. It was far from being reassuring when the current Minister was a distant cousin of the Malfoys. At least Severus had been authorised to receive dividends for the use of his process. Hermione and he had agreed to save the money for Eileen.

As far as the Russian Mafia was concerned, the threat was no more since Bouranov had been betrayed by a member of his organisation; he was locked away in Siberia. Meanwhile, Severus and his family had escaped several assassination attempts, but none seemed really serious when compared to what Voldemort and his Death Eaters had done in the past.

Hermione stood up, interrupting Severus’s stroll on memory lane. She looked like she did not want to go to work. He imitated her and drew her into his arms. “What we have done, what we went through, was not in vain,” he whispered in her ear through her hair. “We can’t prevent narrow-mindedness from existing, alas. But if we didn’t fight it, it’d spread like leprosy. The world needs us, Hermione. We must believe it.”