Chapter Twelve
by Kate


It felt like a two ton brick had just collided with David's stomach. He quickly sat down. "Elaine Jackson?"

"Yes. I'm not sure if we should jump to conclusions just yet, though. Marietta would always bring his food every time Brogus stayed with us. She said it was 'specially formulated,' and occasionally, Elaine would come in Marietta's stead to bring the food. Sometimes it was because Marietta was out of town, sick, or just plain busy."

"I see. Amy, do you know if the office still has some of that food left over? Maybe it was placed in a cupboard or still sitting in a trash can?"

"I'm not sure." Amy gulped, then nervously tapped her foot. "But I can meet you over there in ten minutes and we can find out together."

"Excellent. I'll be there. Thanks." David quickly slammed down the receiver and high-tailed it to his car, leaving the lean cuisine spaghetti cold and abandoned.

He arrived at the quiet animal hospital in half the time Amy suggested. He wasn't a "good" driver, but he was a fast one, damn it. After turning off the engine, David casually got out of his car and glanced around. Amy hadn't arrived yet. He surveyed his surroundings. The hospital really loses its charm after dark, he thought. Perhaps it was the eerie lighting or just the silence. No matter. He was armed, and so decided to lean against the front double doors and wait.

Quickly, David realized that he should've remained in his car. She better be here soon. Damned mosquitoes. While busily swatting away the pests like a small child, he didn't even notice the white compact car that came screeching to a halt across two handicapped spaces.

"Hey, David! Having a little trouble over there?"

Immediately he stopped all movement, stood up straight, straightened his tie, and turned around. "Yes…ah…hem. The door seems to be locked."

Amy stifled a giggle. "Ah. Think I can help you there." While the pretty brunette searched for her massive collection of keys, she decided to tease David further. "You know what, you should be able to get in yourself, right? As a cop, don't you have special door knocking down techniques?"

Clasping his hands, David retorted, "I didn't want to scare the kittens."

Amy smirked. Pointing to the carabiner he asked, "How can you tell which key it is anyway?"

"It's kind of a hit or miss. I'm either too tired or too busy to label them." She tried the lock with a shiny brass key. "Nope. Not that one."

David smiled. So she's a workaholic too.

The pair eventually made it to the kennel area after five tries with the keys and a few clumsy trips through the dark. Most of the dogs started barking and wagging their tails from the presence of possible human companions. Amy turned to Dave. "Let's check the cabinets first. Keep an eye out for a brown lunch sack labeled, 'Brogus'."