Chapter Four
by Lily Always


“Since when did what I think become important to you? Oh, I see, you want my professional comment. Well, in that case I haven’t a clue in hell. I don’t know much more about it than you do. Just because the guy’s an asshole doesn’t make him a murderer.”

“Look, will everyone stop acting as if the woman means anything to me – or ever did for that matter. We dated, we broke up, end of story. Okay?”

Sadie simply chewed and looked thoughtfully at him.

“Okay, I’m sorry. You didn’t ask for that. But for fuck’s sake, what was going on in the station back there? Why was she giving a royal audience to those hacks? And what is the mayor playing at?” David threw down the remains of his last crawfish and wiped his fingers and lips on a napkin.

Sadie thought, not for the first time, how David’s brusque and tough manner was sometimes belied by seemingly unconscious examples of refinement. She wondered how he would be, were he not a cop. Did he think the attitude was demanded by the job, or was it really him to the core? Not likely to find out, my girl, she thought. Safer all round not to go there.

But all she said was, “No worries, Dave. I don’t know what the mayor thinks he’s doing. The whole case is new; no one’s had a chance to look at it yet. The forensic team is still working on the car and on the dead woman’s clothing. You know how long it takes those guys. Rumour has it that Kersey will be appointed to head the investigation. No doubt the chief will let us know in his own good time."

Dave pushed his plate away. “Yeah, you’re right. But not that idiot Kersey, surely?”

Sadie looked at him. “Dave, you look all in. Call it a day, huh? You’ve been up all night; for God’s sake go home, get some sleep.”

“Agent Hawkins, I don’t need you looking out for me,” he growled.

“Nobody said you did, Dave. But just get some sleep all the same, hey? See you tomorrow in the duty room.”

Friedman watched as Hawkins got up from the table and walked to the door. She turned, gave him a thumbs-up and a grin, then she was gone.

He stood up. She was right, damn her, he needed to sleep. He settled the tab, and started for home. The early edition of the evening paper was already on the stands, with Elaine’s face plastered across the front page.

Dave stopped at a corner store to grab some popcorn. Tomorrow was another day.






Chapter Five
by Cyn


He shoved the key in the lock, then stepped into his apartment and frowned. He knew he’d not left the lights on in the living room. Drawing his gun, he moved cautiously up the hallway and peered around the doorway, sighing in irritation.

“How the hell did you get in here?” he demanded angrily.

Elaine looked up and smiled. “I used my key,” she replied, holding it up for his inspection. He stalked over to the sofa and snatched it from her hands.

“Just because I never asked for it to be returned does not give you the right to use it when it suits you!” he snarled, angry because when they had split, he hadn't thought she was serious abut leaving. He expected her to argue with him, but instead, she hung her head and refused to meet his eye. “I asked you what you were doing here,” he stated gravely. “I assume it has to do with this mess earlier.”

“He didn’t do it,” she whispered, looking up to see he was staring hard in her direction, and she winced when he snorted derisively. She knew she had a lot of nerve showing up here, to ask what she was about to ask. She supposed it wasn’t fair to David, but she was going to ask anyway because she loved Tony, despite everything he’d done to her.

David watched as she shifted uncomfortably. ‘Good!’ he thought nastily. “And I care about this opinion how?” He quirked an eyebrow and placed his hands on his hips, waiting for her to get to the point of this late night visit.

“He’s innocent, Dave!” she exclaimed, a pleading note to her tone. “Help him! Find out who actually killed Marietta!”

“It’s not my case.” He dismissed her request sharply. “I’m not sticking my neck out for this one, Elaine.”

“That’s never stopped you before,” she stated quietly, an angry edge to her voice. “You could sort it out. I know you could!”

“I think you should leave,” Dave stated shortly. “It’s really late, and I’ve been up over twenty-four hours as it is. I need some sleep, and your company isn’t wanted or needed.” He strode back to the entrance and held the door open.

Elaine gathered her purse and a navy blue jacket, and made to leave. Before she walked out, she turned back to look into his deep brown eyes. “I know you could help him. He’s innocent, Dave.”

“Why should I do this for you?” he demanded, his hand on the doorknob.

“Because once upon a time you loved me, Dave,” she replied simply. “And you can’t stand to see innocent people get punished for things they didn’t do.”

He watched as she disappeared down the block before he slammed his door, and shouted, “Damn it!”