Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter Eight: Aiko looks into the legal ramifications of Miyatsu’s part-human heritage. Also, she is becoming increasingly uneasy at the toll the circuit appears to be taking on Miyatsu’s health.
Chapter Eight -- A Fraction Legal

Aiko returned from a shopping errand one lunchtime to find a visitor at the house. She took one look at the round, cheery man sitting with her mother and father and flung herself at him, hugging him.

“Uncle Jo!” she cried. “When did you arrive?”

Tanaka Jomai kissed her cheek affectionately. “I flew into the country an hour ago, grabbed a taxi and came straight here. How’s my best girl?”

“I’m fine. How long are you staying?”

“Jo’s got two days with us,” Aiko’s mother said, moving up a bit on the lounge to make room.

“I wanted to surprise you all. Seriously, Kagami,” he said, addressing his sister, “I decided to come as soon as you told me about your condition. How are you now?”

“The doctors are confident that I’ve beaten the cancer,” Aiko’s mother told him. “I’ve still got to take their horrible pills, but I’m feeling stronger every day now.” She glanced at her daughter with a slight smile. “And soon I’ll be well enough that Aiko can go and rejoin Miyatsu. I know she’s dying to.”

“Your mother’s been telling me about this new boyfriend of yours,” Jomei said, turning to his niece. “And I’ve seen him fight on the television. It appears he’s the hottest thing to hit the GMA circuit in years. She tells me you have plans to, er, buy him?”

“We’re buying his freedom,” Aiko corrected her uncle. “I supply the money, and he multiplies it with his wins in the stadium. We also need cash to fund our dream of creating more of Miyatsu’s species.” She smiled suddenly. “Nobody’s ever called Miyatsu my boyfriend before! I like it.”

“But if Miyatsu is as invincible as everybody seems to think he is, why can’t he just leave his current master?”

Aiko shook her head. “The situation is more complicated than that, Uncle Jo. Sakaki funded the project that created Miyatsu. And one quarter of Miyatsu’s genes are human, donated by Sakaki. Miyatsu feels that Sakaki is his brother, he’s very fond of him. He doesn’t want to leave Sakaki with bad feelings. He wants to win money for Sakaki on this circuit, and then pay him back his original investment on top of that. My only worry is that Sakaki won’t agree to let Miyatsu go. In that case we’ll just have to go ahead and leave, with or without Sakaki’s good will.”

Her uncle thought about that for a moment. “I’m no lawyer,” he said at last, “but I am a successful businessman with lawyers working for me. It seems to me that this may be a gray area of law, something the rules don’t cover. The law says that an individual with human genes is human; it doesn’t consider that an individual may only have a percentage of human genes, since there’s never been any such thing as a part human before. I would imagine that legally Miyatsu would have to be regarded as human. In which case this Sakaki would have no case in law to try to force him to stay.”

Aiko nodded. “That’s what we thought. Miyatsu insists that Sakaki never had him sign a contract.”

“You say you’re going to create a new species, Miyatsu’s species?”

“Yes, that’s right. We’ll use his genes to create kittens.”

“I believe that loophole in the law would protect them – legally they’d be human as well, nobody would be allowed to exploit them.” Jomei nodded decisively. “Leave it with me. I’ll get my company lawyer to look into it for you.”

Aiko smiled. “It would be funny if the lawyer says Sakaki owes Miyatsu back pay, seeing as he’s been working for nothing.”

Jomei grinned mischievously. “Since Miyatsu is what amounts to Sakaki’s brother, he’s been working unpaid for the family company. I wouldn’t be surprised if my lawyer finds Miyatsu is legally entitled to a share of company profits!”

Aiko’s eyes widened. “I never thought of that!” The surprised look was rapidly replaced by a delighted smile. “I can’t wait to tell Miyatsu!”

“Well, it’s probably best not to say anything until I’ve found out for sure. It could be Miyatsu would need, oh, say thirty percent human genes to qualify.”

Aiko giggled. “Don’t worry. I’ve got access to his file. I can always doctor the books and add an extra five percent!”

*

By the end of that week, Jomei had an answer. He telephoned Aiko from his Singapore office to tell her that his lawyer was sending her a letter. This detailed the ramifications of Miyatsu’s genetic heritage.

Miyatsu was legally human, with all the rights and responsibilities that entailed. Aiko rolled her eyes exaggeratedly but couldn’t really feel upset when Jomei reminded her that meant Miyatsu was now obliged to pay taxes on his winnings.

“It’s worth it if it means Sakaki can’t legally object to Miyatsu going,” she commented to her uncle. A nasty thought struck her. “If Miyatsu can be called human, will this mean he’s disqualified from the GMA circuit?”

“My lawyer already investigated that point for you. It appears Miyatsu is in a rather unique situation. While he can claim humanity, he still qualifies as a GMA! The good news is that it is still perfectly proper for him to fight on the circuit, but that if he decided not to, that would be legal as well. The point is, it’s up to him to decide, not his human master or trainer. He’s his own master now.”

*

As the weeks rolled by, Aiko became increasingly uneasy when watching the circuit battles. The tremendous effort Miyatsu was making in the stadium appeared to be taking its toll. As the weeks turned into months, he began to appear tired and thin when they spoke on the telephone, and in his televised fights, he had the look of a famished alley cat. He always dismissed her concerns when they spoke.

“I’m just missing you,” he told her wistfully. “If we didn’t need the money, I’d take the next plane home.” He sighed, a very human sound. “Still, I have my brother for company. But if Sakaki wasn’t here for me to talk to, I don’t think I could stand it. It’s very - isolated? Yes, isolated. Many people are always around, but to them I’m not an intelligent being. They’re either frightened or they ignore me. That rarely changes. I can read, and watch television, so it’s not as boring as my life was before. But I get so lonely for you.”

“I wish I could come to you,” Aiko fretted. “If only my mother were a little better. She’s getting stronger, but I really can’t leave just yet.”

“Don’t worry about me,” Miyatsu told her. “There’s not much longer to go now, so I can put up with it. How is the money coming along? Am I earning enough?”

“We’ve got enough to repay Sakaki his investment. Now we just need to cover the scientist’s pay and provisions for when we go to Shima.”

“Then I’ll concentrate on that. I have my dream to work towards. I’ll be all right.”

But Aiko couldn’t stop worrying. She missed her mate too, but she felt there had to be something more to it than that, for Miyatsu was beginning to look ill and exhausted. Finally she phoned Sakaki to voice her concerns to him.

Sakaki sighed, almost angrily. “I don’t know what’s come over him,” he told Aiko. “He’s moody and sullen all day long, pacing about his room and lashing his tail. Suzu’s terrified, she won’t go near him. The only time he’s reasonable is when you telephone and when he’s concentrating on fighting. The rest of the time he’s bloody impossible. I can only guess it’s because he’s a cat GMA: everybody knows how temperamental they can be, and fighting on the circuit is a stressful activity even for less highly-strung GMAs.”

“Please keep on eye on him, Sakaki,” Aiko pleaded. “I’m really worried about him -- he looks so thin.”

“He needs a kick up the backside to change his bad attitude,” Sakaki grumbled.

*

The stadium was packed with spectators, and even over the television, it could be sensed that the atmosphere was thick with expectation.

Miyatsu was now the star attraction, and as such, his match was first. His opponent was a mixture of many previously modified animals, its genetic structure tinkered with in the laboratory until it no longer resembled anything previously seen in nature. It was a vicious-looking Frankenstein’s monster of a creation, owned by an Australian scientific consortium.

This GMA had faced and beaten its share of opponents on the circuit and was now second in the ranking. It did not appear to be intimidated at the thought of fighting Miyatsu. It was busily sharpening its long blade-like forelegs against each other. These were a type of claw extension of the foreleg itself and were as long as scythes and quite as sharp. It leered arrogantly about at the humans in the stadium. Like Miyatsu, it was bipedal, but while not as tall, it had natural armor. An external chitinous skeleton, making it impervious to slashing or biting attacks, protected its body.

But Aiko felt dismay when she saw her mate walk onto the sand. His condition had definitely gotten worse in just the last week. He was now so thin that his ribs stood out against the fur. His face was gaunt, and his eyes looked hot and feverish.

“What’s happening to him?” Aiko whispered. “Sakaki must see that he’s sick. How can he send him out to fight like that?”

Her father and mother also leaned forward in concern. Her father put on his reading glasses to see the image on the television screen better.

“He looks as if he’s been starved,” he observed slowly. “What can have caused that?”

“There’s another strange thing,” Kagami said. “That’s not Sakaki in the trainer’s corner.”

“You’re right,” Aiko answered worriedly. “That’s one of the circuit trainers. But they’re only hired when a GMA’s trainer can’t attend. So where’s Sakaki?”

Just then the klaxon beginning the match blared. Sisyro, the Australian GMA, flung itself at Miyatsu, its sharp bladed forelegs slicing through the air.

But this time the cat GMA did not dispatch his opponent quickly and cleanly. Instead, Miyatsu dodged, but the movement was slow and rather clumsy, not done with his usual eye-deceiving swiftness.

Neither did he retaliate. Sisyro, encouraged by this sign of weakness in the previously invincible attack cat, threw itself into the fray again, its vicious forelegs a blur of motion.

Miyatsu spun away again, but was an instant too slow. One of the slicing blades caught him, opening a shallow red gash against the creamy-orange fur of his hind leg. Blood dripped onto the sand.

“They have to stop the match!” Aiko cried, her eyes horrified. “He’s not well, can’t they see that? Oh, Sakaki, where are you?”

Miyatsu leapt straight up into the air, somersaulting to land both long hind legs forcefully onto Sisyro’s shoulders. The GMA gave a whistling cry of pain and went down, landing heavily on the sand. One of its forelegs snapped cleanly off at the growing point with the impact.

It twisted its body and slashed with its remaining blade, and Miyatsu jumped clear just in time. Clicking in rage, Sisyro scrambled to its feet again and began to circle Miyatsu carefully, looking for an opening to attack. Miyatsu continued turning to face his opponent, watching as warily.

“Why doesn’t he just use his psychic power?” Kagami said. “He could pick up his opponent and throw him.”

Aiko narrowed her eyes. “Telekinesis take a lot of energy, Mum. It looks to me like he hasn’t got any to spare.”

Aiko’s father nodded. “I agree. He’s using everything he has just to stay on his feet.”

“He could use his light shielding technique,” Aiko said. “He’s told me that doesn’t take as much energy as telekinesis.”

Yutaka shook his head. “There’d be no point. I remember reading about that GMA’s creation in the scientific journals. It can sense body heat, it doesn’t need to use its eyes to fight. This is bad. What were the circuit people thinking, allowing Miyatsu to fight in this condition?”

“They don’t care,” Aiko said bitterly, “so long as he puts on a good show. I am going to personally kill Sakaki when I see him.”

Sisyro feinted with its remaining blade, and as Miyatsu backed up, it rushed forwards again with its blade swinging high.

Miyatsu managed to avoid the lethal foreleg, but Sisyro cannoned into him, knocking him over. He rolled, but before he could regain his feet, Sisyro was above him, raising its blade for a downward strike. Miyatsu desperately lashed out with his legs. He twisted and pushed Sisyro off balance enough that the vicious blade missed, burying itself in the sand inches from where his body had been. Still on his back, Miyatsu raised his powerful hind legs again and landed a solid kick to Sisyro’s torso. The GMA went flying, landing on its back.

Before it could recover, Miyatsu had pounced, landing on top of the GMA on all fours. Together they tumbled across the sand of the arena. There were only two spots on Sisyro’s body unprotected by armor, its eyes and its throat. Miyatsu had his fangs on the armored shoulder of Sisyro, trying desperately for the throat, using his body weight to prevent the GMA from bringing its foreleg blade up. His claws were hooked into Sisyro’s armor, leaving deep gouge marks.

“Miyatsu’s reverted to true cat fighting,” Aiko’s father breathed. “Teeth and claws. Look, he’s going for a choke hold… ”

With a desperate heave, Sisyro was on top of Miyatsu. It slashed down, and Miyatsu’s body jerked as the blade bit into his side and blood began to seep.

Aiko was unaware that she was holding both her parent’s hands in a tight grip. She was shaking her head in denial. GMA fighting was not meant to be to the death, but it had been known to happen. Trainers usually forfeited when their animal was too badly hurt to continue. Miyatsu’s wound did not appear serious, but the blood stained his fur in a bright bloom. The unfamiliar trainer in the corner was watching him closely, his fingers hovering over the button that would end the match and forfeit to Sisyro.

“Do it,” Aiko breathed. “Oh, please stop the fight!”

Miyatsu gave a yowl of rage and shook Sisyro off his back. He turned and the pair faced each other.

Sisyro was slower now, tiring and more wary. Miyatsu’s chest and sides were heaving as he panted for breath. The microphones in the arena picked up the sound of his rolling growl, low and menacing.

The trainer moved his hand away from the button, apparently satisfied that Miyatsu’s wound was not hazardous.

With a sudden rush, Miyatsu was on Sisyro. Aiko blinked. He seemed to have found a reserve of energy for that burst of speed, or perhaps it was borne of desperation, but it was effective. Sisyro was bowled over by the impact with the feline’s body, and as it leapt again to its feet, Miyatsu kicked out with one leg, striking the GMA’s knee. A sharp cracking sound and a whistling scream of pain demonstrated that the exoskeleton covering the joint had been broken.

Sisyro fell to the ground, grasping its leg and rolling in agony. Its trainer hurriedly pressed the button, and the klaxon sounded, forfeiting the match to Miyatsu.

Miyatsu stood swaying in the arena as the result lit up the board. Despite his condition and without using psychic energy at all, he had triumphed. Then, as if it had been will power alone that had kept him going, he crumpled to the ground in a dead faint.

“Miyatsu!” Aiko screamed. She felt a sudden giddying shift in perspective; the world seemed to tilt to one side, there was a sound like velcro being ripped apart, and then she was suddenly in the stadium with the unconscious Miyatsu.

He’s breathing,” she thought with dizzy relief, too disoriented to wonder at how she could be there with him. “He’s alive!”

She knelt by his side. “Miyatsu! Wake up, my Miyu!”

Miyatsu’s eyes flickered open; he was staring right through her as if he couldn’t see her.

“Aiko?” he murmured faintly. “Where are you?”

Then there were people all around, trainers and medics crowding about, and she became aware of a roaring sound, like an oncoming train. The room canted over onto its side again, the world was rushing past, and suddenly she was back in her parent’s living room, holding tight to their hands in a white-fingered grip.

“What just happened?” she whispered fearfully.

“They’re saying he fainted through over-exertion,” Aiko’s father answered. “But that he’ll be all right.”

“No, just -- just then. When I -- left -- ”

Aiko’s mother stared at her worriedly. “Left, Aiko? What are you talking about? You didn’t go anywhere.”

*

“He’s suffering from a condition similar in every respect to Pershan Syndrome.” The Chinese vet at the circuit GMA hospital in Shanghai paused, and even over the small telephone screen Aiko could see he looked disapproving. He spoke very good, if slow, Japanese. “A Pershan, left alone by its master, will pine and stop eating. It loses condition rapidly and its health deteriorates. Left for long enough, it will eventually die. Your animal is badly dehydrated and suffering from lack of food. If you’re his master, why are you not here to look after him?”

Contritely, Aiko explained the situation concerning her mother. “But what I can’t understand is, his trainer, Raikatuji Sakaki, should have been there,” she added. “He was supposed to be providing the emotional support Miyatsu needed. I’ve been trying to contact him since the match, but it appears his phone’s been turned off.”

“Well, although your animal should make a full recovery, Dr Fujimoto, I have no option but to mark him unfit for any more battles on this current circuit. I can only suggest that you arrange to have him shipped back to you as soon as he is released.”

Aiko shook her head. “I’m coming to you,” she answered. “I’m at the airport at the moment, and I’ll be in Shanghai in three hours time.”

The vet nodded. “I’d like to keep him here for a day or two to recover. Thankfully, his condition hadn’t progressed to a life-threatening stage. Hydration therapy overnight, and the presence of his master, should see him pick up fairly rapidly.”

“Can I speak to him please, doctor?”

The vet looked surprised at this unusual request. He smiled, as if he thought she was joking, a smile which faded when Aiko’s serious expression didn’t alter. “He’s sedated, he’ll sleep for the rest of the night,” the vet answered. “You’ll be here in three hours? I’ll be off shift by then, but I’ll notify the duty nurse that you’re on your way.”

Aiko shut off her mobile phone and stared thoughtfully at the night sky through the airport lounge windows as she waited for her boarding call. She still hadn’t been able to work out what had happened earlier that evening, that curious sense that she’d been at the stadium with Miyatsu when he collapsed. It had seemed so real, but it couldn’t have been, could it? She must have imagined it; perhaps it was some sort of hallucination brought on by seeing Miyatsu injured. She shook her head, unable to find any logical explanation, and it worried her.

*

Rain was falling in a depressing drizzle when Aiko arrived in Shanghai just after midnight. From the airport she caught a taxi, but had some difficulty getting the driver to understand where she wanted to go. After switching to halting English and repeating the words “GMA Hospital” several times, the driver brought up a directory of the city on his guidance system, and Aiko flicked through it until she found the hospital, pointing to it and nodding positively. Finally, she settled back in the seat as the taxi cruised through the rain-washed streets of the city.

The hospital was in an industrial area. Aiko paid the driver and got out, regarding the drab concrete building with its locked and barred front entrance for a moment before spotting the smaller night door a short distance away, highlighted by a single unshielded light bulb.

She pressed the call button and when the image of a nurse appeared on the screen, said: “Fujimoto Aiko, here to see my… er, my GMA, Miyatsu.” Aiko held her identity card in front of the screen for the nurse to check. The door buzzed and unlocked.

The smell hit her as soon as she pushed the door open and stepped inside; the aroma of disinfectant overlaid an unpleasant hint of urine and excrement. It smelled like a huge pet store full of incontinent puppies. Aiko looked about her with distaste. It was a warehouse-sized place, and along the walls and stretched in long rows down the middle, barred cages of various sizes had been built to house injured GMAs.

Although the lighting was dim, within some cages movement or small noises showed that they were occupied. At least it was warm and dry, which was welcome after the icy drizzle outside, but it was still grey, utilitarian, and depressing.

Aiko’s footsteps echoed on the concrete floor as she crossed to the nurse’s station by the main entrance. This was more brightly-lit than the rest of the building, and the sour-faced nurse who had appeared on the call-screen looked up at her approach.

“I’m Fujimoto Aiko,” Aiko repeated. “My GMA, Miyatsu, was brought here earlier from the circuit stadium.”

The woman regarded her for a moment. Most GMA nurses in advertisements Aiko had seen appeared to be efficient and obliging. This nurse was not one of them.

Finally, after sizing Aiko up and down and apparently deciding that she was not going to disappear and let her get on with the solitaire card game she was playing on the computer, she got to her feet. In heavily-accented Japanese, she said, “This way.”

She led Aiko down corridors of locked cages, past sleeping GMAs, past the baleful eyes of nocturnal GMAs, past GMAs large and small, some bandaged, splinted or in other ways injured. Some of the cages were covered with canvas. Each of these had a multi-lingual sign pinned to the canvas wall: “Please do not disturb. Sedated GMA within.” The Circuit season was in full swing, so this hospital was subsequently crowded.

Near the back of the huge room, tucked in the corner where two walls met was another covered cage. The nurse led her to this and lifted one end of the canvas. Aiko crowded close and clung to the bars, staring inside.

Miyatsu was lying curled on his side on a tatami mat in a sedated sleep. A rehydration tube ran into one forearm, and his side and leg where Sisyro had cut him were heavily bandaged. The cage was not much longer than he was. A folded blanket lay by his feet, and a big, unused litter tray sat in the far corner.

“My Miyu!” Aiko breathed. She turned to the nurse. “Open the door. I’m going in there with him.”

The nurse regarded her silently for a moment, and now Aiko guessed that she was translating what she had just said into Chinese and framing a response in Japanese. After a second, she pointed at the door.

“Thumb lock,” she said. She took Aiko’s hand and held it against the lock. It clicked open. “You want stay tonight?” she added, phrasing slowly. “Master rent mat for put beside cage. Very clean, very cheap price.”

When Aiko shook her head, the nurse shrugged, turned and walked back down the corridor without another word.

Aiko opened the cage door and stepped inside. Miyatsu was still asleep; Aiko could see his breathing, slow and steady, lifting his sides and ruffling the fur of the arm pillowing his head. It hurt her to see him being treated like this. Of course, the staff at this hospital wouldn’t have known that he wasn’t dangerous, but Sakaki should have been here to prevent it ever coming to this in the first place. Sakaki! Aiko was going to have a few words to say to him when she saw him!

Leaving the door a little ajar, she put her small traveling bag with her change of clothes in the space between the edge of the mat and the bars and toed off her shoes.
Spreading the blanket over Miyatsu, she crawled in beside him. Reaching one arm out through the bars, she managed to grasp the end of the canvas and twitch it back down, re-covering the cage. Then, in the warm cinnamon-scented darkness, she cuddled up close to her mate, close enough to feel the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed, and shut her eyes.

Lulled by the soft sound of Miyatsu’s rhythmic breathing, she fell asleep.

*

Aiko opened her eyes to a close grey ceiling and wondered where she was. It took a second or two before the memory of last night reasserted itself. As it did, she felt a warm body cuddled up next to her and waves of love washing over her. She turned her head to the side and saw blue eyes regarding her solemnly.

If this is a dream, a voice rang in her head sleepily, I never want to wake up.

The sudden easing of fear for her mate was such a relief that Aiko felt as if she were floating. She nuzzled closer. “No dream, my Miyu,” she murmured. “I’ve come to take you home.”

Home, he agreed telepathically. Oh Aiko, I’ve missed you! He gathered her closer in his arms, stroking her hair gently. My little mate, my heart. I’ve ached to hold you again.

Aiko felt her pulse begin to speed up with his nearness. It was unbelievably erotic, lying with him once more, listening to his whispered telepathic endearments. Oh, it had been so long! Determinedly, she pushed the growing desire back.

No, she argued with herself. Miyatsu is still weak as a newborn kitten. How can I be thinking about sex when… when… when he’s licking my neck like that… ohh...

“Miyatsu,” she whispered desperately, “are you strong enough to make love? Because if you’re not, please don’t do that!”

Shhh. His warm paws were all over her, gently peeling off her clothes, caressing as he went. You’re here with me at last. Let me show my love.

Aiko swallowed against a suddenly dry throat, her body shaking with the force of her desire. Since her mate seemed determined to make love to her, the least she could do was assist as much as she could. She eased out of the last of her clothes, then, still lying side by side, she hooked one leg over him, drawing him close, taking him inside herself...

In the warmth of their small canvas-covered sanctuary, they made love, re-affirming their pair bond. It was slow and gentle, as Miyatsu was still very weak, but Aiko felt she would pass out when the sweet rolling waves of orgasm claimed her, Miyatsu biting the back of his paw to muffle his yowling cries of pleasure.

*

Miyatsu was staring up at the ceiling. Still using his telepathic voice, he asked, Where are we?

“At Shanghai GMA hospital,” Aiko answered quietly. She smoothed the fur on his chest, stroking it lovingly. It was supremely warm and cosy under the blanket. She knew she needed to get up and dressed soon, before the doctor began his daily rounds and decided to check on Miyatsu, but it was early yet. She decided a few more minutes wouldn’t be a problem. And it was very hard to get up the inclination to move when her mate was under the blanket with her, holding her in his arms so possessively. “When I saw you collapse during the circuit last night, I jumped on the first plane to Shanghai. Do you remember the match?”

“Vaguely,” Miyatsu said out loud, then winced. Throat’s sore, he complained, returning to his telepathic voice.

Aiko sat up. “Open up and let me see,” she instructed. She peered into his mouth, lifting a corner of the canvas as she did so to let in more light. “Stick out your tongue for me. Hmm. That’s more than dehydration. That stupid vet gave you a sedative; he must have known you were related to Pershans, because he recognized you had Pershan Syndrome. Yet he still gave it to you! You’ve reacted against the sedative, my Miyu. Would you like me to give you some pain killers?”

At his grateful nod, Aiko dug in her handbag and produced a small bottle of paracetamol tablets, her remedy for menstrual cramps or the occasional headache. As she shook three into her palm, she rapidly reviewed her memory of Miyatsu’s genetic profile, confirming that only the sedative, chocolate and aspirin were off-limits to him.

“These will take the edge off the pain until the sedative’s out of your system.” She unhooked the drinking bottle from the wall of the cage and unscrewed the top so that he could take the tablets. “How do you feel otherwise?”

Miyatsu managed a smug grin. Pretty good. Parts of me are very happy! He held the blanket open in invitation, and Aiko smiled and crawled back in beside him. When can we go home? This hospital smells bad.

“The doctor wants to keep you here for a day or two. And I have to contact Sakaki. His mobile’s been switched off. I’m going to tear him into little pieces for leaving you alone. He was supposed to be looking out for you and keeping you company.”

Miyatsu’s expression changed. It’s Suzu’s fault that he’s gone. She persuaded Sakaki to become her mate early, and they left on a celebration, a ‘honeymoon’ they called it. Suzu wanted to go to Beijing. I’ve been by myself for a week and felt so lonely that I couldn’t eat and could hardly sleep. Did you know they speak a different language here in China? I don’t understand what’s on the television, and can’t read any of the newspapers or books.

“Sakaki left you by yourself?” Aiko said in outrage. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

I didn’t want to worry you. And I thought I’d be all right, at first. He wasn’t going away long, but he said he’d promised Suzu to take her anywhere she liked for the honeymoon.

“He had no business leaving you alone!” Aiko said angrily. “He’s got a Purshan, he should have realized the risk.”

Miyatsu shrugged. Koneko went with him. Suzu doesn’t mind her; she doesn’t talk and upset her view of the world. But I’m not completely cat; Sakaki probably didn’t think I’d react the same way. I didn’t even know what was wrong with me, just that I felt tired all the time until the effort of getting up day after day became too much. The thought of going home to you has been all that’s kept me going this week. His eyes searched her face. You’re not disappointed that I won’t finish the circuit?

Aiko shook her head. “Oh no, my Miyu! You did a marvelous job. Even with Purshan Syndrome, you managed to beat Sisyro, and without using your telekinetic moves at all!”

A flicker of pride swept Miyatsu’s face. I didn’t think I could possibly win when I found I couldn’t use telekinesis. I tried to, only it hurt my head so badly I couldn’t see straight. But my instincts took over, and I beat it fair and square that way. Only, we don’t have enough money to go to Shima, do we?

“We have enough to pay Sakaki. We’ll find the rest somehow. Oh, I’ve been so worried about you. I knew something was wrong, but Sakaki promised me it was nothing! I trusted him!”

Miyatsu held out his paw, palm up. Without you, my Aiko, I feel as if my heart has been cut out and all the joy in my life has gone, he said wistfully.

Aiko put her hand against his in their old ritual of connection, swallowing against the sudden lump in her throat that his feelings evoked in her. Her life without Miyatsu? That was no life at all.

She pulled her thoughts away from that, from the horrible fear of loss that his collapse the previous evening had generated, the fluttering panic that had accompanied her all the way to China. After a moment, she asked, “Do you have an alternate telephone number so that I can contact Sakaki? He’s not answering his mobile.”

Miyatsu shook his head. No. If I did, I would have used it to call him yesterday to tell him I couldn’t compete. He paused for a second, then continued, Aiko, I’m strong enough to walk, if we take it slowly. Can we go back to the Circuit Hotel, instead of this place? I really need a shower, and, his voice took on a surprised note, I’m starting to feel hungry again!

The canvas covering the cage door was lifted, flooding their sanctuary with light. Aiko blinked as her eyes adjusted to the sudden change. The vet’s scandalized face came into focus.

He was staring, open-mouthed in astonishment, at Aiko naked under the blanket and in the arms of her genetically-modified animal. Aiko could see the conclusion he was drawing and knew that he didn’t like it one bit. His mouth was now screwed up as if he had just sucked on a very sour lemon.

“You will be billed for the care of your GMA,” the vet informed her in clipped tones. “And now I’ll thank you to take it and yourself and get out of my hospital.”

Aiko stood up, wrapping the blanket around herself as she did so. “I’ll be glad to,” she said calmly. “You’ve harmed my husband enough, giving him sedative when he’s obviously related to the Purshan species. I may decide to take legal action against this hospital for negligence.” She raised one eyebrow as the vet continued to stare at her in outrage. “Would you mind dropping the canvas? I’d like a little privacy to get dressed.”

Miyatsu sat up, a low rumble of warning in this throat. “You heard my mate,” he said with magnificent cat disdain. “Go away.”

Reaching out one paw, he twitched the canvas out of the vet’s hand and allowed it to drop back into place.