The Gift

By
Becky

Hans Gruber stood inside the department store and glanced around at the decorations adorning almost every wall and display case there. He shook his head as he walked up to one of the counters in the jewelry department and peered through the glass top. His keen eyes studied the various chains and charms sitting there.

He was new to buying presents for others, and he was not comfortable showing such sentiments around them. ‘But I am going to America tomorrow; one last job and I shall be free,’ he thought ruefully. ‘Joan won’t be expecting this gift. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve; she will be alone, and she should have something from me until I get back. One little gift for her wouldn’t hurt,’ he reasoned as he continued to look around. 'Edward sure picked a good time to implement this plan--Christmastime, of all the stupid...' His temper rose as he thought about it, so he decided to push the thoughts away. ‘Now isn‘t the time to think of that.’

Walking to the end of the counter, he spotted a ribbon of silver with a delicate pendant hanging from it. It caught his eye, and drew him over to the spot. It was an Artemis Moon necklace, complete with diamonds. As he looked at it through the glass, he smiled. “Perfect,” he whispered as he looked around for assistance.

The tall clerk spotted him as he leaned over the counter. Walking over silently, he stood nearby and waited. The moment Hans looked up he came forward. “Sir, might I help you?” he questioned. Hans noticed his face the moment he looked up. He smiled that simpering self-ingratiating smile that Hans distrusted in his own men. He dismissed the thought, and nodded in the man’s direction.

“Yes, I wish to look at this necklace more closely.”

“Yes, sir, right away.” He dug into his jacket pocket for the key. Pulling the display from the case, he set it on the counter and smiled. “It is a lovely setting; pure silver, sir,” the man exclaimed as he stepped back to let Hans examine the piece.

“Yes, it’s quite lovely, and just how much is this, please?” Hans inquired as he waited patiently for an answer.

“That particular piece is three hundred-fifty pounds, sir,” the man replied with a hopeful look crossing his face.

“Yes, well, I need it wrapped and sent to this address please.” Hans took out his wallet and handed the man a card with the name and address on it. The man took the address card and wrote the information on the sales ticket, handing the card back to Hans. He then took the necklace from the display and placed it in a satin lined box.

“I shall wrap this right away, sir, and have it going out with the morning deliveries,” the man behind the counter informed him as he looked anxiously over at Hans.

Taking a substantial amount from his wallet, Hans handed it over to the man, then turned to leave. The man called out to him as he started to walk away. “Oh, sir, the card! How should the gift card read?” Hans looked down at the counter as the man shoved a pen and small card over toward him.

“Oh, yes, the card,” he replied as he thought a moment, then wrote:

To my beautiful wife, Joan.
I love you.
Hans


He handed it over to the man, turned and walked to the waiting car that would take him to a plane bound for America.