Diplomacy
Chapter 2: Lessons



The next week was long, yet lots of fun, for Obi-Wan. He met many interesting people and leaned much about the Republic government. By the end of the week, he was exhausted, but went to Shaana's door as he had every other day. He had dressed in his finest robes as she had ordered. She had not indicated where they might be going.

"Right on time, as usual," Shaana said as she opened the door. "We must hurry so we won't miss anything."

Obi-Wan fell in behind her as she walked past him. "Where are we going, Shaana?" By now, he had become comfortable with leaving off her honorific titles. She didn't seem to mind.

"It's a surprise," she told him with a gleam in her eyes.

They walked past the Jedi Temple, past many other places, and finally came to the Senate building. Shaana walked through the door, nodding to the guards as she passed. He struggled to keep up, all the while wondering why they were here.

The Jedi Master stepped into the open lift. Obi-Wan slipped in beside her. "We are going to meet a friend of mine," she said, answering his unasked question.

He nodded and remained silent as they rose to higher floors.

Once the lift stopped, Shaana walked out to the left. An entourage of brightly clad people stood in the hallway. She smiled and walked straight to the man who seemed to be the center of attention.

"Shaana!" the man cried, pulling her into a hug. "I am so glad you could make it." He looked past her at Obi-Wan. "Is this the young man you spoke of?"

She turned to Obi-Wan with a smile. "This is Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan, this is my dear friend, Senator Bail Antilles of Alderaan."

Obi-Wan bowed slightly. "It is an honor."

Bail grinned and put an arm around the boy. "Nonsense, the honor is mine. Please, come with me. The session is about to start."






Obi-Wan's jaw dropped the moment he stepped onto the platform. Thousands of similar platforms filled the room. Most were against the walls, yet some floated around, their occupants speaking with other Senators.

Bail chuckled. "A bit much to take in, huh? Don't worry, you'll get used to it quickly enough. Sit here and use this translator."

Obi-Wan nodded and took the small device from the Senator and inserted it in his ear. His head immediately filled with all sorts of sounds. He looked towards the Senators from Kashyyk and understood exactly what the Wookies were saying. He barely noticed Bail's hand on his shoulder pushing him down into the seat.

Moments later, the meeting began. Obi-Wan watched and listened as Senators from every corner of the galaxy debated on matters of all sorts. He glanced at Shaana once and saw her eyes were closed. She had a smile on her face.

In what seemed like no time at all, it was lunchtime. Shaana stood and moved to thank Bail. Obi-Wan was so wrapped up in listening to everything, he didn't notice her standing beside him. "What did you think?" she asked.

He jumped slightly and looked at her. "That was incredible." He pulled the translator from his ear and handed it to an aide. "I've never seen so many aliens in one place before."

She smiled. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. Now, come on. Let's go get some lunch."





They walked to the Jedi Temple, Obi-Wan in silent contemplation of all that he had observed. "May I ask you a question?" he queried, breaking the silence.

"Of course."

"Why did you not use a translator during the meeting?"

A warm smile crossed her face. "I didn't need it. I have the Force."

Seeing the confused look on his face, she explained. "The Force allows me to understand alien languages. This is something your Master should know since he is so wary of the living Force."

"Would you teach me how to do that," he asked eagerly.

"Perhaps. You should ask your Master first."





They sat across from each other as they ate and discussed the Senate session. Shaana felt a presence and looked up. "Master Qui-Gon. Please join us. I am sure your Padawan would like to talk to you."

"Thank you," the tall man said as he sat beside Obi-Wan. "So, what have you learned today, Obi?"

"We went to a Senate meeting this morning." Obi-Wan quickly and energetically told his Master all that had transpired.

Qui-Gon chuckled at his apprentice's enthusiasm. "I was already a Knight before I saw the Senate chamber. Congratulations, Obi-Wan."

"Thank you, Master." Obi-Wan beamed with pride.

"He is a very quick learner," said Shaana.

"Yes he is," replied Qui-Gon. "I am sure he will do great things in his life."

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. "Yes," she said quietly. "Yes he will."

Obi-Wan cocked his head at her. "How do you know?"

Qui-Gon watched her, a slight frown on his face. "Because Master Shaana is highly adept at precognition."

"She can foresee the future?"

"For the most part," she responded. She then began speaking like Master Yoda. "Always in motion is the future." She mimicked his laughter.

Qui-Gon smiled at her imitation. Obi-Wan began to snicker, but quickly slapped a hand over his mouth.

"Too high your voice is," said the same voice beside her. "Yes, much too high."

Shaana looked down to see Master Yoda standing beside her leaning on his walking stick. He was staring at her amusedly. "Well, I thought it was rather close," she said with a smile.

Yoda cackled. "Yes, yes. Close it was, but not close enough. You must try harder."

She laughed with the Jedi Master. "What made you stop by our table, Master Yoda? It couldn't have been my expert imitation."

"Expert?" He raised an eyebrow at her then smiled. "Wondering I was how Obi-Wan's training was going."

"He has learned much, Master."

The diminutive Jedi tapped the young man on the arm with his walking stick. "Mind what you have learned. Help you it will."

Obi-Wan recoiled from Yoda, but quickly regained his composure. "Yes, Master Yoda. I am sure to remember all Shaana has taught me."

"Good. Good. Oh, Shaana, told him I did."

She looked at him curiously. "Told who what, Master?"

"Told Mace to 'chill out.'" Yoda cackled again. "It took Adi Galla an hour to explain what it meant. Agreed then, he did. Gone to see his family. Yes. Two weeks we have."

"That is wonderful. Master Windu deserves to go see his family. It has been much too long since he has done that."

"Yes. Other reason you know, hmm?"

She nodded sadly. "Yes. I do."

"Go I must. Finish eating. Enjoy!" Yoda waddled off, laughing. They heard him mutter "chill out" then burst into gales of laughter.

"Qui-Gon," Shaana began, steering the conversation in a more serious direction. "I will be leaving soon for Alderaan. Bail has asked me to help him with a dispute in the plains lands. I would like to take Obi-Wan with me, if you will allow it."

Obi-Wan's eyes widened. "You wish for me to go with you on a diplomatic mission?"

She narrowed his eyes at him. "Was I speaking to you? No, so wait your turn."

He sat back in his seat, chagrined.

Qui-Gon smirked at his Padawan. "He has been neglectful of his other duties as of late."

Her eyebrow arched. "He has? Well then, perhaps he is not worthy to accompany me."

Obi-Wan jumped up. "It has only been my saber practice."

"And your meditations," added his Master.

"But I was going out and meeting other Jedi like Master Shaana asked me to!"

Shaana shook her head. "I said during your free time, Obi-Wan." She paused and thought for a moment. "It will take several days to reach Alderaan."

Qui-Gon caught her meaning. "Will you promise to meditate any time you are not practicing with your lightsaber or on watch?"

"Yes, Master," he said fervently. "I promise."

"Then you may go."

"Thank you, Master!" Obi-Wan hugged Qui-Gon and turned to leave. "I will go gather my things immediately. When will we be leaving?"

"This evening," replied Shaana. "I expect you at my door no later than 1800 hours."

"Yes, ma'am!" The young man darted out of the cafeteria.

"Are you sure this is wise," asked Qui-Gon.

Her eyes followed Obi-Wan as he left. "I need to test what he has learned. And besides, he will have to finish what we start together." Her face was sad.

Qui-Gon felt a pain deep within him. He knew what would happen, though he chose to ignore it.