A/N: This story was written many years ago and I have taken some liberties with the Jedi ideals. The character, Shaana Crainden, is my own creation and doesn't follow the Jedi Code to the extent that is discussed in RotS. I hope you enjoy the story regardless.

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fan fiction based on characters and places owned and copyrighted by Lucasfilm Ltd. However, everything not owned by Lucas in this work is the property of the author and should not be used without her consent. No profit has been gained from the creation of this fanfiction and no copyright infringement is intended. No part of this publication may be published, distributed or copied in any other way online or offline without the expressed consent of the author.



Diplomacy
Chapter 1: Introductions





Jedi Master Shaana Crainden put down the cup of caf she was drinking and stood to answer the door. Waiting patiently in the hall was a young man, not more than fourteen or fifteen. His hair was dirty blonde and cut short, as required by Padawans. His Padawan braid fell from his left ear to his shoulder. She smiled.

"You wished to see me, Master Crainden?" He bowed respectfully.

"Your Master asked me to see you, Obi-Wan. Please come in." She opened the door widely to allow the Padawan to enter.

Obi-Wan hesitantly passed through the doorway. He wasn't sure why Qui-Gon wanted him to see Master Crainden. He turned to face Shaana. "Did Master Qui-Gon say why he wanted you to see me?"

Shaana raised an eyebrow. "What do you think, young one?"

He blushed. "I apologize," he stammered. "Master Qui-Gon had told me that you requested to see me and nothing else. I just assumed."

"It is not a Jedi's place to assume, Padawan Kenobi. Now, please have a seat."

The redness of his face paled slightly as he swallowed hard at her admonition. He sat on the couch, its fluffy cushions engulfing him. Quickly, he pulled himself to the edge.

Shaana tried to hide her grin as she sat in the chair opposite him. She cleared her throat before beginning to speak. "As you probably know, I have known your Master for quite some time. We went on several missions together when he was but a Knight. He is a very good friend and an excellent teacher.

"However," she continued, belaying any answer from the young man. "Qui-Gon feels that you are a very promising Padawan and therefore should learn all aspects of being a Jedi."

Obi-Wan shook his head slightly. "My apologies, Master Crainden, but what does this have to do with you?"

She smiled. "You may call me Shaana. Qui-Gon is an excellent Jedi, but even he has weaknesses. Do you know what duties I perform for the Jedi Council?"

He knew the answer to this question. He held his head proudly. "You travel on diplomatic envoys to many of the planets in the galaxy."

"Very good," she said as she nodded. "I have been to nearly every planet in this galaxy. I have seen many things and learned even more. What Qui-Gon wishes me to do is teach you much of what I know."

Obi looked perplexed. "Why?"

"Because your Master lacks in what I excel."

He shook his head. "I still don't understand."

Shaana chuckled. "Diplomacy. Qui-Gon has a problem in that area. He is so in the moment at times that he forgets his place."

"I see," he replied, rather chagrined.

"You have now learned your first lesson."

Obi looked at the graying woman confused.

"You entered a situation you knew nothing about and asked the correct questions to gain the desired answer."

He thought about this. What she said was very logical. He nodded. "I understand."

Shaana stood and moved to the door. "Come walk with me, Obi-Wan."

The Padawan quickly rose and moved to her side. She led him out to the training area. "There are many different species among the Jedi. Do you interact with any who are not human?"

Obi-Wan faltered. "I admit I have not done enough. Only through classes..."

"That shall be your first duty. During your free time, I would like you to make friends with those who are not human. They can be Padawan, Knights or Master, just as long as they are aliens."

He nodded curtly. "Yes, Master Crainden."

"That sounds so formal, Obi. I'm not your Master, so I would prefer you to call me Shaana or Jedi Shaana if you must."

"Yes Mas- I mean Jedi Shaana."

A short alien creature moved in their direction. "Ah, Master Shaana Crainden. Long has it been since we last spoke."

Shaana bowed to the diminutive Jedi. "Good morning, Master Yoda. It is always a pleasure to see you."

Yoda looked at the young man beside her. "I was unaware Padawan had you."

"He is not my Padawan, Master," she replied with a smirk on her face. "His Master is Qui-Gon Jinn."

"Oooooohhhhhhh, much that explains." He chuckled brightly. "Yes, much."

Shaana fought back the laughter that threatened to burst forth. "Where are my manners? Master Yoda, this is Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan, this is Master Yoda."

Obi-Wan quickly bowed to the Jedi Master. "It is an honor to meet you, Master Yoda."

"Well trained he is. Knows his protocol. Hehehehe." Yoda tapped Obi-Wan on the leg with his walking stick. "Why are you with Master Crainden?"

"My Master asked Jedi Shaana to help me with diplomacy."

"Mind what you learn, Obi-Wan. Need it you will. Good teacher she is." He grinned and chuckled again.

Shaana felt it was time to change the subject. "Where are you off to this morning, Master Yoda?"

He turned his head to her and sighed. "Jedi Council meeting. Again. Tired am I, yet Mace still summons us."

"Perhaps you should tell Master Windu to, what is it the children say these days, 'chill out'."

Yoda laughed heartily. "Yes, yes, tell him, I must."

Shaana chuckled along with the Jedi Master. "We should let you be on your way, Master. This young one has much to learn."

"Mmm, yes. May the Force be with you."

Shaana and Obi-Wan bowed curtly and watched Yoda waddle away towards the council chambers. "Now where were we," Shaana asked.

"You were telling me to meet those of other races during my free time."

"Ah yes. Come along, we have much work to do."