First of all - many, many thanks to Rilla and Buttercup for their beta help!!

I do so love feedback, even if it's just a note to say you're reading - thanks to everyone who's following the story, lurkers and commenters alike!! I truly hope you're enjoying it.

Severing the Past
Wendynat

Chapter 6



Lysira peeked out of the window in Kylia's room, shaking her head. "It won't be long now, before the daylight comes. You'd best come back then, after light."

"That makes sense," N'oenar said, adjusting his lightsaber. It was secreted in an inner pocket of his cloak and he hoped it would be quick enough to hand if it were needed. If all went well, it wouldn’t be. The memory of a blue glow falling from nerveless fingers overwhelmed him for a moment.

Reaching into a front pocket, he touched the braid that lay hidden within. He felt as if he was moving through a thick fog, his mind weighed down by the events from the day before and occupied by the dreams he'd woken from so recently. Trying to shake out of it, he moved to Lysira's side at the window, staying back a bit to shield himself from sight. The moon was still bright, though it now had a slight reddish cast that he hadn't noticed before. It seemed appropriate, somehow.

"Ayliana ought to be ready soon. If we go out on this side, we'll be hidden from the main paths?"

"That's right. Might be some beings in the alley, but they won't be speaking to a trooper about someone climbing up the walls, you can count on that." With a sigh, she turned to him, the shocking red of her hair glinting like blood in the moonlight. "Such a rush, no time to say a decent farewell-"

"Mother! They're headed this way from Zriko's side." They both turned at the sound of Kylia's voice. She stood in the open doorway, and though N'oenar had expected her to be frightened, instead she seemed excited. "Should be a few more minutes."

"Minutes? Well, then, it's a good thing we're ready now," Ayliana said, pushing past her into the room. Kerenne was right behind her, and N'oenar wondered if the two women had shared words of some sort while he'd gathered his things and waited with Lysira – there were two spots of color high on Kerenne's cheeks, and it didn't appear to be face paints. He'd noticed Kerenne seemed to avoid wearing much makeup, which he decided was rather to his liking.

Frowning, Kerenne continued their conversation, evidently oblivious to the others in the room. "Climb out the window, and then what? We'll just drop into the alley? That's insa-"

Ayliana spoke over her shoulder to the other woman, not bothering to turn her head, and that was so uncharacteristic of her that N'oenar no longer wondered if the two women had shared words – he was certain of it. "We'll climb up, not down, then slip into one of the already-searched buildings and head back here when it's safer-"

"After daybreak," N'oenar offered, glancing between his fellow Padawan and Kerenne. The situation was certainly tense enough without the two of them being snappy with one another. Well, not that Ayliana was snappy per se, but she was definitely sounding rather un-Ayliana-like.

"After daybreak, yes," Lysira said, studying the two women in turn. "Now, Kerenne, perhaps you should stay here-"

"Why? They'll need my help-"

"We can handle it, I think." Ayliana's voice was very calm, sounding very much the Jedi. "It's just a precaution, anyway. We've got the false identification that Lysira found for us-"

"And Kerenne, she helped-" Kylia interjected before a quick gesture from her mother silenced her. The smirk on her face hinted that she was quite enjoying the tension in the room.

Ayliana ignored the interruption and continued in that calm voice, "And unless you've learned to scale sheer walls in your years of illega-"

Lysira raised her voice sharply. "Right, that's enough I believe. Kerenne, you're supposed to be here with Kylia. Point of all this is to look natural – they'll just be two other passengers, meeting you here in the morning."

Kerenne's lips tightened, but she nodded reluctantly. "That makes sense."

"Of course it does! I said it," Lysira said, smiling widely. "Now, now, you'll hurt yourself, pursing your mouth like that. Unless you're preparing to kiss someone? He won't be gone that long, dearie, just an hour or more." Kylia's smirk intensified.

"Are you ever serious?" Kerenne snapped. Instantly, Lysira's eyebrows went up.

"You've got enough of that already. Quite enough of 'being serious' between the three of you, I'd say. I'm just glad Kylia's going along with you to keep things a bit lighter." She reached out a hand to her daughter's head, giving one orange lock a quick tug of affection. N'oenar was reminded of the way his Master would tug at his braid, at times… "Life. Why do it, if you get no enjoyment from it?" Then she turned from her daughter to look at each other the other three in turn, her face serious. "You all know better than most, that even in the darkest hour, there is still a light. Warmth."

N'oenar cocked his head, her words reminding him of his dream. She, as unbelievable as it seemed, had sounded much like Master Dannew, and the comparison surprised him. This garishly painted woman, having something in common with the Master Historian of his memory? The words burst out before he thought to stop them, "You sound like a Jedi."

"From you, I'll take that as a compliment." She reached out and patted him on the cheek, then turned to open the window, the clear panel sliding into the wall with a whisper of sound. "Now, you'd best go. We'll see you after daybreak."

The others watched as they secured their belongings, tightening the straps on their packs one last time in preparation for the climb. "We'll see you all soon," Ayliana said in a low voice before reaching up to catch the window frame. She pulled herself out and up effortlessly.

N'oenar followed her, pulling his heavier form into the window. Balanced on the sill, arms stretched up to grip the crumbling decorative ledge above the window on the outside wall, he could see only the stone in front of him until he looked up. His Force-enhanced sight easily picked out Ayliana's form from the shadows as she waited for him above. She seemed settled, so he paused long enough to duck his head back into the room for a final farewell.

"See you all in a little bit."

Kerenne was the first to respond. "Be careful." She looked about to say more, but then closed her mouth and just gave him that crooked smile. Lysira's hand moved to her shoulder, squeezing gently.

"Yep. Try not to fall or anything." Kylia winked at him, a cheeky grin on her face.

"We will," he promised, eyes still on Kerenne as he leaned back out of the window and reached up. He concentrated, pulling on the Force to guide his fingers to the minute cracks in the outside wall, sensing the small indentations that would allow him purchase. It was simple, really, to flood himself with the Force, to feel it flowing through the wall, through his fingers, into his mind and the air around him, to feel the cracks in the wall, to feel the air thicken and buffet him as he effortlessly made his way up the wall.

He could sense Ayliana, also, and see her with a sight that was not physical; he could feel her determination, her energy, her warmth, could feel the connection made between them, the bond… all of this through the Force. Not for the first time, he wondered how others lived without knowledge of the Force, without feeling that same bond to the world around them? Lysira spoke of family and her disagreement with the Jedi way, but what significance was a mere flesh and blood connection compared to this?

A smile crossed his face as he climbed, Ayliana shining before him, her presence in the Force almost a solid light, comforting him.

They climbed silently for a time before reaching the first set of ledges. After they both found their footing on the thin outcropping, Ayliana gestured in the direction of Zriko's and he nodded, holding up six fingers. She understood instantly and began to walk, leading the way. Six buildings up, that would be more than sufficient, and it might even bring him close to the door where the strange old woman made her nest. He'd had the urge to speak with her, ever since his dream the night before last… ever since the decision to leave Coruscant had been made. Perhaps he could make sense of her ramblings… they had to mean something. The Force's will was being done.

The thin ledge on the neighboring building wasn't on the same level, but their Force-enhanced abilities made the jump a simple task. He glanced down into the alleyway from time to time, scanning it for white helmets, but he saw none. Dark shapes milled about, sometimes a voice sounded, but nothing more. It was doubtful that any of the figures could see them, high on the wall, and even if they could, he trusted Lysira's judgment. They weren't going to raise an alarm.

And yet, they both felt a growing sense of urgency and began to move more quickly, running lightly along the thin, crumbling edge of the stone and mortar, keeping their concentration, their bond through the Force, close at hand. Two buildings crossed, then three… four… he looked down for a moment, startled when he noticed that the pavement of the alleyway was now a lighter shade of gray.

Daylight was breaking.

"Hurry," he murmured, knowing that the low sound would still reach Ayliana through the Force. It wouldn't do to be caught on the wall – there was very little way to explain that, particularly since it was a maneuver that he doubted any but a seasoned thief or a Force-sensitive person could perform. Right now, he couldn't say which would be more hated.

Their feet moved faster, lighter than air, steady – it was exhilarating, using the Force like this. Ayliana might be used to the more physical purposes to which the Force could be placed, but he was more familiar with the mental side, analyzing thought and feeling from words written ages before, deciphering intent of political works, looking to the past for patterns that would be repeated in the future. Art and culture and history, a wealth of knowledge slept in his memory. Knowledge worth so much to him at one time but now, in the harsh reality of survival, it was his training with a saber, with balance and perception and anticipation, that aided him the most.

Before him, Ayliana slowed.

"What-"

"Daybreak, we need to get inside. This should be far enough," she whispered, her voice but a breath.

"Right." He looked up, seeing a window directly above them. He closed his eyes and touched the stone with both hands, letting the awareness of the Force flow from him through the stone to the room beyond. "I don't sense anyone… it seems empty…"

Ayliana nodded in agreement, lifting her cheek from the wall. She'd plastered herself against it, the contact apparently assisting her because she said with certainty, "It's empty." Then she leapt up and caught the sill of the window, pulling herself up with ease. Fingers searched along the edge, her face tight with concentration, and he heard a distinct 'snick' as she found the mechanism and persuaded it to open. The pane slid into the wall and she disappeared into the room before he even had a chance to grasp the edge of the sill.

The metal sill was cracked in one spot and he winced as he pulled himself up and through the opening, dropping silently to the floor. He glanced down at his hand, a thin trail of blood showing dark in the dim light. Absently, he rubbed it off with the inner edge of his cloak before closing the window.

"There's a corridor through that door," Ayliana breathed, gesturing to the first of three doors, the only one of the three that stood cracked open slightly. It appeared that they had landed in a small sitting room of some sort. With a sharp nod, he followed her out of the room.

The corridor was long and silent, and dark – far from the illumination of moon or even dim morning light. Their connection with the Force aided them once more as they crept through the halls, down stairs, over and again.

Just when he thought they would make it down to the first level without being detected, an angry voice cut through the silence. "And just who are you? You're not more of those troopers, I told you there aren't of those Jedi here." He blinked as a light was switched on, his pupils taking time to adjust to the brighter surroundings. The corridor was slightly dusty, with a number of doors leading to what he assumed were rooms for rent. And before them stood a short, rather angry man. N'oenar assumed he must be the proprietor.

Ayliana waved her hand casually. "We've been here all night. We already paid."

The man blinked. "You've been here all night. Paid."

N'oenar mimicked the gesture, twisting the Force, bending it, a trick of the mind. Ayliana was much more skilled at this than he was, but any little bit… "That's right. All night. Slept early, and now we're leaving early." For something this simple, it wasn't difficult to trick the man's perceptions – particularly since he didn't seem to be exactly strong-minded.

The man nodded. "All night, you were! And leaving early. You can find your way down, then, the door's not sealed from this side."

"Thank you. We're sorry to have woken you," Ayliana said with a small wave before they headed down to the street level. They walked to the windowed door in silence, checking through the clear pane – more of the one-way glass that Lysira had used - to survey the street. It stood out from the other store fronts just enough that he could see the neighboring building, and he craned his neck to get a better look, wondering… would she be there? Or did she leave in the cover of darkness, heading to some unknown lair? She is wise…. Those that can see have often been thought to be… mad..

With a jolt, he realized she was there, sitting next to the doorway of the neighboring shop. Just as his head jerked with recognition, her head lifted from the rags, and turned….

For a brief moment, the old woman shone… her presence in the Force a star, pulling him in. He was halfway to her before he realized he had pushed open the door and left the building, his feet moving without direct orders to do so, his ears ignoring Ayliana's hissed order to stop. It was the Force's will. He knew this.

"Obey your final orders, you are the key, that was seen. Shroud the light and you will live on!" He tilted his head and moved closer, pulling on the Force just a tiny bit, feeling the connection between the old woman and himself, strengthening it; he had to understand, this was his last chance. "Free the birds! Find the blue tree, the silver cage – the birds are a treasure that you know not."

"A treasure? What are the birds, mistress? Can you tell me?" He felt Ayliana as she approached, felt as she stopped behind him, but he didn't turn. All of his attention was on the small huddled form before him. "Please."

The light continued to shine – now that he knew it was there, now that he himself was bound together with her Force, he could see it clearly though his senses had never been as attuned as Ayliana's. He wondered just how much they were both showing now, in the Force, wondered just how bright it was?

An odd bit of sanity crossed the old woman's face, and she blinked blind eyes. "Obey your orders. It can be a weapon, or not – intent is the key. The key."

"The key?"

"To be saved it must be broken. You must have the courage to break it."

He felt an urgency from Ayliana, almost frantic, but he dared not look away, dared not break the connection he shared – for just this moment – with the old woman. "To break what?"

"You have skills will accomplish what the force of others cannot. Learn. Lead the bantha, lead it, and you can save the birds. They will shine, the birds will. Shine…. Their blood will sing. But first, ice will give way before flame. Follow your orders, shroud the light, and you can save them."

It still made no sense, but perhaps on further study-

Claw-like fingers gripped his arm, interrupting his thoughts. "Smolder, do not blaze! In the great flame, all things are destroyed! Remember!"

The sound of footsteps came to his ears, but he didn't take his attention from the woman before him. He had to understand...

"N'oenar!" Ayliana's hiss caught his attention and he looked up, frozen by the sight of two clone troopers walking along the pavement, approaching their corner. Stepping back, he tried to pull his arm away, but the old woman's grip was insistent. "N'oenar, we've got to go now-"

He considered yanking his arm away, but the old woman might not let go and somehow he thought that dragging an elderly woman down the sidewalk just might attract the troopers' attention… and for now, they seemed to be ignoring them. Beside him, Ayliana was tense, but he could feel her relax slightly.

If only their luck would hold. The troopers were passing by, not paying them any-

"Faith!" the old woman shrieked at that moment. N'oenar froze, his head whipping up. As he'd feared, the troopers paused. Turned. And then they approached. Remembering that they had identification, that nothing about them was suspicious, he tried to remain calm. It took some concentration, but he kept his expression even – summoning what he hoped was and amused but mildly irritated look. It was difficult. Dread and a terrible anger fought within him at the sight of those uniforms.

"Is there some trouble?" The voice sounded human, but he knew it wasn't – not really. No true emotion dwelt within that droid built from flesh. In fact, the human sound of the voice was far more disturbing than the mechanical tones of a Trade Federation battle droid. At least you could be certain where they stood.

"No, no, we're fine, we were just-"

"To save it, you must break it!" The woman's urgency was painful to him, her emotions clear and tangible, battering at him through their Force connection. She must have felt it like a physical knot, tied tight around her temples, this urgent need to communicate… was it always like that, for her? He tried to ease the way for her, tried to-

"Is this woman bothering you?"

He shook his head, almost smiling at the situation – the troopers, undoubtedly searching for Jedi, stood next to two who were so bound in the Force that their combined energy would be seen by any Force user nearby. They shone like a sun, and the troopers stood right next to them, completely unaware.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

"No, no." Turning to the trooper, his connection with the Force allowing him to ignore the tendril of anger that reached for him at the sight of that all-too-familiar helmet, he shrugged casually. "She's here all the time, I was just trying to give her a bit of charity, and…"

And what?

"And she seems to have taken a fancy to him," Ayliana said, stepping in. She laughed lightly, sounding for all the world like one of those giggly young women they'd run into while searching the undercity. "I'd be jealous but… you know."

And then she topped off her performance with a flip of her hair and a saucy wink.

He stared at her, a bit disconcerted by the sudden transformation as she answered the clone trooper's other questions. Still maintaining the connection with the Force, still maintaining his bond with the old woman, he heard the stories clearly as they were spun. They were just a young couple waiting for their friend who was going back to her home planet to visit… they'd always been curious about the old woman…. Ayliana gave just the right amount of information - not too much, not too little - and she sounded so natural he had to wonder how she'd learned to lie so well.

The lies evidently worked; perhaps there was just enough of the truth in them to avoid raising an alarm. Or perhaps they simply didn't look like Jedi. The identification that Lysira and Kerenne had procured for them the day before was asked for and shown, and finally the troopers nodded and went on their way.

"Birds… the key…"

Concentrating, he tried to unravel the nonsensical twisting of her mind. Then, with a sigh, he reluctantly pulled away from the old woman's light, releasing the connection, letting the Force that flowed through him at all times return to its normal paths. He had all she could give him, all she could communicate – the Force worked in mysterious ways, and giving words to incoherent minds was evidently one of those ways.

He wondered, for a brief moment, if giving words to dreams was another way the Force worked? "They're gone. N'oenar, we should get Kylia, before more-"

"Listen to the Master, listen to yourself, heart and mind," the old woman's whisper was a tiny thread, and her hand slid weakly from his arm. "Faith."

He could feel Ayliana's impatience and nodded to her before turning back to the old woman. "Thank you, mistress."

"Hide. Live."

He sucked in his breath, shock racing through him. How did she know? How did… he opened his mouth to ask the question, but she settled back, muttering broken phrases, her light fading.

"Come on, N'oenar. We don't have time!"

Nodding, he allowed himself to be led away.

--

"I'd hoped to give you two a proper send-off, but this will have to do." Idly, N'oenar wondered just what constituted a "proper" send-off on Jabiim. Because he didn't think he'd be able to carry more of a send-off than this.

Beside him, Ayliana was arguing quietly with Lysira and he couldn't help but overhear. "But it's far too much, Lysira, you can't-"

"You'll need credits for the next voyage, and whatever else might come. Two young people, out on their own-"

"Thank you, Lysira. But really, this is-"

"I pay my debts!" Lysira stated, pudgy arms crossing her chest. And, with that gesture, he knew the argument had been won.

He knew that Ayliana had realized the same thing. She pocketed the large pouch, filled with credits and other forms of currency, and smiled. "It's far more than anything your debt could be, Lysira. But I know better than to keep arguing with you."

"Just be careful, the both of you." Lysira included N'oenar in her gaze. "And watch Kylia, if you will. She's far too bold."

That comment brought an immediate protest from the person in question. "I am not!"

"You are, and I've got no idea where she could get that from," Kerenne said dryly, coming up behind Lysira with yet another trunk to place on the pile. "Last one. It's just a good thing I brought this repulsor lift-"

"Oh, you just like to complain, you do." Lysira smiled. "You be careful, too. You and that brother of yours. I still don't know how he's kept from having some woman or other tie him in one spot-"

"I'm not really interested in my brother's love life, but thanks for the visual, Lysira."

Lysira laughed and patted her on the cheek. "Anytime, dear." Then she turned to Kylia, pulling her into a close embrace. The orange-haired woman leaned her head down to touch her mother's forehead. "Daughter mine, run safe and free, and return." The words had an air of formality to them, and his suspicions were proved correct when Kylia responded.

"Mother mine, remain safe and secure, until my return."

The moment felt like such a private one that he looked away, reluctant to intrude. When he turned, he caught sight of Kerenne, who was watching the two with a small smile. He had to admit the scene was rather beautiful, a sentiment of family that he'd never been able to completely grasp but had seen depicted over and again in art and literature from various cultures. And while it may be a common occurrence on their home planet, to judge by Kerenne's reaction, it wasn't something he was used to witnessing. Apparently just as unwilling to intrude on the personal scene, Ayliana had busied herself with rearranging her pack and other belongings. He mimicked her, checking his pockets, pausing when he felt his Padawan braid.

Two kisses on each cheek, a couple of more whispered words, and then Kylia backed away.

"Go, all of you, and run safe and free."

They took another path to where the ship was docked, far from the corner where the old woman sat. The walk was largely silent, all of them feeling the tension from the early morning seeping back into them. The ship became a safe haven in N'oenar's mind, and a small part of him mourned the realization that his home since birth would never again have that same protected feel.

Soon enough they reached the ship – it was larger than he'd expected, though an older class, and he studied the structure as a distraction from his thoughts. He hadn't meditated in days, and was already feeling the lack. Once they were well away and settled, he made a silent promise to find a quiet place and re-center himself in the Force.

The hatch opened and a tall, slender man stood at the top of the ramp. Even without the prior knowledge of their relation, he would have easily recognized the man as Kerenne's brother. The same wild, dark hair, the same smile, the same confident way of moving. Kerenne waved them ahead. "That's Zehrid. Zehrid, this is N'oenar, Ayliana, and you already know Kylia."

"It's good to meet you." Zehrid eyed them each in turn, and though he didn't say anything else, N'oenar felt a disquieting sense of being sized up and, if not judged, at least measured against some standard. Who had set the standard, or what it was, he had no idea. Finally, inspection over, Zehrid glanced at Kerenne and nodded almost imperceptibly.

"Right. Get in, then," Kerenne ordered. "Kylia, to your right, and straight back. You've got the larger sleeping area-"

"Thank goodness," Kylia breathed, taking control of the hovering platform that held her trunks and immediately heading back to the area indicated.

"I'm expecting the launch code any moment, Rosnea's working on it." Zehrid said, pressing a button to close the hatch. Over the hiss of the retracting ramp, he said, "You can show them to their spots, Kerenne." Then the dark gaze shifted to the two former Padawans. "Once you're done, feel free to come up to the bridge area."

With a nod, Kerenne led them to two separate cabins. Ayliana's was near the front of the ship, while his was closer to the rear, near Kylia. He hoped they had simply been joking about her snoring…

"It's not the longest journey, but it's long enough. Get comfortable, stow your stuff, and you heard Zehrid. Come up whenever you want."

N'oenar dropped his pack and cloak, first removing his saber and, after a moment's hesitation, the severed braid. Quickly securing the saber under his tunic and stowing the braid in his front pocket, he left the small cabin and paused at the opening of Kylia's cabin.

"I'll be up there soon, just have to get these things settled-" Kylia sounded distracted, and he couldn't blame her. He'd have no idea where he would even start on the pile of trunks and packs. "Tell Zehrid I'll need his help when he gets some time. I have no idea where the hidden panels are."

Hidden panels? Deciding not to worry about it, N'oenar shrugged inwardly. They were already breaking the law by transporting two Jedi off the planet – how could he fault them for transporting other cargo at times?

"Right. I will." N'oenar shook his head at the pile once more and made his way to the bridge area, where the others were already seated.

Someone was speaking from the comm, so N'oenar sat quietly behind Zehrid, not wanting to interrupt.

"Here's your code, love." The voice read off a long series of numbers, which Zehrid quickly entered into a datapad. Ayliana leaned forward, frowning slightly.

Zehrid sat back with a wide grin, glancing at Kerenne triumphantly. "Thank you."

"Make sure you give them that, we've had some… incidents… already. People not used to the new regulations the Emperor's put in place."

"I mark that, Rosnea. And I appreciate it."

"I hope you do, it wasn't easy getting that code," the voice said before the speaker clicked off.

Kerenne grinned mischievously, sending N'oenar a wink before turning to her brother. "Wasn't easy getting it, she says. I imagine not. So what did you have to trade this time? She's been scoping you out for ages, did you finally give in-"

"In the name of- no! You sound exactly like Lysira, you know that? Although, as good as she is, Rosnea might have a chance. If she wasn't three times my size and bright orange. Not to mention, I prefer my ladies with just one head, not two." Zehrid looked back at N'oenar. "I tell you this, it'll be nice having another man around this ship."

Not knowing quite how to respond, he settled on a nod and a smile. It seemed to be sufficient, because Zehrid turned back to the controls and began to fire the engines. N'oenar watched intently – he'd never seen the bridge area of a ship of this class before in person, and it was fascinating to note the differences between the ones he'd studied and flown in and this older version.

Zehrid noticed his interest and began to explain the controls and some of the specifications. It was obvious that the ship was his first love, two heads or not, and N'oenar listened eagerly. Ayliana also leaned forward, keen eyes watching the demonstration. Finally, the other man sighed. "I'll show you two more later, or Kerenne can. Right now, I'd better go back and help little Miss Noor stow all those trunks away."

N'oenar nodded. "She said she'd need your help."

"I don't doubt it," he replied, standing from the chair. "If I know Lysira, there's illegal items filling up half those trunks. And Jabiim's known for boarding incoming craft so we've got to get them hidden. Should be a little while before we're called to launch, anyway, with the new procedures. I'll be back."

Ayliana frowned at Kerenne after Zehrid left the bridge. "That's strange – normally only military vessels need to wait for-"

"The Emperor's changed some things," Kerenne said dryly, rubbing the back of her neck. "Not for the best, either. It's going to be a little more difficult for anyone to slip in or out undetected. Good in some ways, as it'll bring us more credits, but it's a lot more dangerous, too-"

Just then, the comm came to life and a bored voice said, "Please submit your launch code."

"Damn." Kerenne searched the small shelves under the control panel, tossing datapads behind her as she sifted through them. "Where did Zehrid put that-"

Without thinking, N'oenar recited the number sequence he'd heard when he first arrived in the bridge. Then, realizing that she was unlikely to remember it even short-term, he snatched one of the discarded datapads and entered the sequence, handing it to her. She took it, looking first at him and then at Ayliana, who nodded.

"You can trust it's correct."

One more penetrating glance, and then the dark-haired woman turned and read off the contents of the datapad.

"You're cleared for exit. Your return sequence is-"

After quickly inputting the new number code and pressing some switches on the control panel, Kerenne turned back to them. "How-"

"He has complete recall."

Eyes narrowed, Kerenne studied him. Uncomfortable with the scrutiny, he shrugged. "It's… it's like a datapad. Just permanent."

"That's quite a gift."

"Not always," he murmured. "Some things… some things I'd like to forget." From the corner of his eye, he could see Ayliana turn to him, but he avoided her gaze. He couldn't avoid Kerenne's sharp look, however.

There was silence, then she nodded. "I can imagine."

He was spared from forming a response by the arrival of Zehrid. "All right, everything's secured – what Lysira was thinking, sending Kylia with all that-"

"Code's been given. We're cleared for exit."

"Already? Good. Everyone, get settled in." With that, the thin man slid into one of the pilot seats and began pressing buttons, eyes scanning the readouts as Kylia entered the bridge area and took the seat next to N'oenar. Fingers curled around the hand rests eagerly, eyes large and excited, she looked at him with a bright smile.

He envied her.

The ship lifted easily, smoothly, cutting through the thick air without pause. As the surface on the viewscreen grew smaller and smaller, N'oenar felt a wave of something like homesickness ripple through him. Coruscant. He'd never known another home – he had even been born on the planet, and his earliest memories were of the tall spires of the Jedi Temple, seen from outside… and of the rounded dome of the Galactic Senate… and of a kind-faced woman who spoke to him in a soft voice, though he didn't understand the words. He'd been taken to the Temple earlier than many of the younglings; as son of a medic in one of the many hospitals of Coruscant, his blood had been tested at birth.

Thoughts of the woman that bore him brought to mind Lysira's insistence on the bonds of blood, of flesh – bonds that had nothing to do with the Force and everything to do with a mere chance of birth. He'd thought it a weak bond at best, but as he watched Coruscant dwindle to the size of a child's toy in the viewscreen, he began to wonder if he'd been wrong.