Twenty-three chrome dragons, twenty-five metallic dragons, and one immortal human was the final headcount for the Exiles. They met on Tayol Isle, and the atmosphere was depressing.

“What shall we do? Where shall we go?” cried Pocto in despair. The Brass looked around at his fellows, but no one seemed to have an answer for him.

“Do not despair!” cried Kali, and all the dragons turned to her in surprise at her cheerful demeanor. “For Kali has a plan!”

Grins broke out. “And what is this plan, old woman?” Binsanth called. Kali turned to the large Gold in disgust.

“Who are you calling an old woman?” The others laughed as the tension was relieved. They were going to be okay, as long as they had Kali. As long as they had each other.

“Right, then, the plan. First things first – you remember my lecture about willing magic to work for you?” The assembled dragons nodded. “Well, going to have to do this for the first part of the plan, because there really isn’t a spell for it that I know of. We’re going to set up a mind link. You Bronze might have a bit easier time with this.”

“A mind link?” queried Lumina, and the other gold dragons mirrored her curiosity. This was an academic problem, now, their specialty.

“Yes. It will allow us to have instant mental communication with each other, no matter the distance. Or so I hope, at least. I’ve done this only once before – it takes a fair bit of power to connect to each other, but once you are, it shouldn’t be magically taxing at all,” the woman lectured. “The general theory is this: you want to reach out with your mind – and we’ll have to do this one at a time – to interact with another’s. Staring at each other generally helps a bit. And you’ll need to use your imagination to visualize some sort of connection between the two of you.”

“What do you mean, ‘visualize a connection’?” Khindris asked.

“Anything that could work for you – a beam of light connecting your minds, perhaps. Or perhaps you could visualize the two of you in some sort of room together, for another twist on things,” she explained. “Zosopel, Kariel, you two first.”

Kali was impressed at how quickly the young dragons picked up on the idea. As she had guessed, the bronze dragons, with their already heightened extra sensory perception, were easily able to form a mind-link, to which they were slowly able to add the others. They chirruped amongst each other in dragonspeak as they worked, so absorbed into the process they forgot about Kali standing there, watching them with an amused smirk on her face. It was long and mentally taxing for them, especially for the normally reclusive Blacks and Coppers, but eventually, all the dragons were linked together in their own mental realm.

“What about you, Kali?” Aura asked, cocking her golden head at the woman. She could tell by the sudden silence and distracted looks of the dragons around her that they were all talking to each other. “You don’t have any magic, so how will you join with us?”

“I’m not sure that I can, Aura. I will certainly try, if you all are willing to help,” she smiled. It wasn’t crucial that she be connected with them, but it would make the next part of their journey considerably easier. She turned her head to Aura, expecting one of the Golds to lend her aid, but suddenly, she felt a mental intrusion – Chonk and Zosopel were staring at her intently to her left.

“Careful,” Pyrocina whispered, reverting back to Common. The mind was a fragile thing, after all.

Kali felt her mind being lifted from her body, much like some odd dream. Her first instinct was to panic, to return back down to the ground – but suddenly she saw the dashing smile of Valtrex’s human form next to her, taking her hand. “No worries, no worries, Kali. We have you.” She looked around, and saw the dragons around her – all in mortal form, some human, some elf, some the ancient irda. They were all smiling at her, and reaching out to her, guiding her to…a circle of couches. Kali almost laughed at the sight. She wondered how they knew what a couch looked like – she didn’t have one, and they had never visited mortal lands. Perhaps she was imagining it. Perhaps they had dug it out of her mind?

She sat down on a plush purple couch, from which she noticed the stuffing was coming out at the seams – she had definitely seen this couch before – and was quickly joined by Valtrex, Tyberis and the red Korrel. The other dragons gathered on the other assorted couches, grinning at each other and at her.

“It’s easier for us to gather together, in these smaller forms,” Khindris explained. “This is the mental picture we have when we communicate.”

Kali wondered if she should tell them that in a mental realm, space had no meaning, and that the forty-eight dragons could reasonably gather together in their full-grown forms and still have room to spare. But she decided against it – after all, they would have to start thinking of themselves as mortals, soon.

“But now we have to return you to your body,” Pyrocina looked nervous. “Just remember this place, what it looks like, and you should be able to return.”

Kali nodded. It was an odd reversal of roles – they the teachers, she the student, but she took to it well enough. Though she considered them all children – for they were indeed still children – they were quickly becoming her friends, and it was easier for her to few them as equals. They were dragons, after all. It was increasingly hard, each year, to look down on them.

She felt herself returning to her body, but kept the image of the lounge in her mind. She opened her eyes to be met by the curious looks of the dragons, crooning in worry.

“I’m fine,” she chuckled. And then she felt it, the mental barrage of images from the dragons – feelings, thoughts, memories. She steeled herself against the onslaught, and reached out to touch the link. It was magic, something she had hungered after for so long. Something that these young dragons had so much of – and would only have more as they grew older.

‘Calm down!’ she suddenly thought at the link, pleased to see it had the desired effect. There was a stunned silence, before the dragons erupted in cheers amongst themselves. They had seemingly done the impossible! So excited, they reverted back to their native dragonspeak, which Kali couldn’t understand. She was used to it, however, and waited for them to calm down again, exploring the mind link.

She could still see the mental lounge in her head, and saw as faces winked in and out – never completely gone, just hidden, she surmised. It took her a moment to realize that she could understand them, suddenly, as they chirped and whistled to each other in dragonspeak.

Kali laughed to herself, but decided to keep this information secret. And secrets she could still keep, it seemed, for she had to actually concentrate to project any mental thoughts. She imagined it would become easier with practice – most things did – but it seemed as if she could still keep her thoughts private if she wished to. The last thing she needed was a bunch of adolescent dragons nosing around her mind.

“What now, Kali?” Tyberis asked. “What is the next step?”

All eyes turned towards the woman, curious. She grinned to herself in anticipation for their reactions. This was going to be interesting.

“The next step,” she said seriously, “will be to leave Krynn.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Kali swore she could hear a pin drop for all the silence in the area. The dragons were all staring at her, incredulous.

“Leave Krynn?” Dizirellyth squeaked. Kali nodded to the White, who actually seemed to pale at her.

“And go where?” Furor asked.

“Another world, far from here,” Kali responded.

“But…” Khindris began, but Kali cut him off.

“I have thought long and hard on this, I believe it is our only solution. We shall go some place where the war on Krynn will never touch us. Your brethren have forsaken you, your gods have forsaken you, for your friendship, for your unwillingness to fight in a really rather pointless war. There is no place on this world that we can go to escape them. Perhaps the dragons, but never the gods. So thus, we must leave this world.”

“But to what world? How do you know there are others?” Valtrex asked.

“Oh, there are many others. A long time ago, before you hatched, I once had a friendship of sorts with a powerful sorcerer of the Black Robe. Said sorcerer was always doing experiments for this and that, as sorcerers inevitably seem to do, and in his studies of portals and other universes, he came across many worlds. Some were horrific, some seemed like paradise. They were all different, though, all were interesting in their own little ways. I happened to be helping him at the time when he came across this one world that sparked my interest,” Kali’s eyes were glazed slightly, and her voice took on a mystic quality it always did when she spoke of the past.

“It was like and unlike Krynn in so many ways. It was completely full of humans, no elves, no ogres or irda, no dwarves or kender or gnomes. We couldn’t detect a trace of magic in the world, and so my friend – who was also a Silvanesti, mind – was completely disinterested in the find. But I convinced him to explore around a bit, and what I saw brought wonders to my eyes.

“The humans still had wars, of course, but I was surprised at how effectively they seemed to mirror all the other race struggles we have here on Krynn. Their wars were not fought because some deity ordered them to – their wars were fought for a reason, for a cause; however pathetic it may be, it was still something. The humans seemed to have the ingenuity that gnomes do – they had some marvelous inventions that I know would make a tinkerer forget all about his Life Quest. They were also master masons like dwarves – I saw giant pyramids and buildings made completely of stone and beautiful works of art made from marble or precious metals.

“In fact, I fancied I was looking at Krynn, if the gods had only deemed it fit to make one race. After my friend finally closed the portal, that world haunted my dreams forever. I have always wanted to go, to explore it more, to learn more about those humans and how they exist without the diversity that the other races bring to Krynn. When Takhisis stole the world, and only one moon shone at night, I fancied that it was the same moon that shone over that one world through that portal.

“And so, I would think it would be a marvelous place to go. Yes, there will be war, there is always war. But just think – you will be the only dragons in that world, the only bearers of magic, and no gods. An entire world to claim as our own – to protect and cherish. And no one to tell you what you can and cannot do. You’ll have each other, and that is what you have always wanted, is it not?”

As Kali finished her speech – it was a highly edited tale of events, granted - she glanced around at the young dragons around her. Most of them were swept up in her tale, and she could feel their emotions through the mind link. Most were curious, and she could see the Silvers and Blues bounding with excitement at the prospect of a whole world to explore. Most of the chromes had no reservations about leaving, but some of the metallics were afraid to leave their home and their kin.

“If we leave, will we ever be able to return?” Jaggyr asked. Kali shook her head at the Bronze.
“I don’t know, but most likely not. I understand if you have reservations about leaving, I really do. I am asking that you leave behind everything you know, everything you love. But you know I would not suggest the idea if I didn’t think it would be good for you. This is the only way I can see for us to be together,” she smiled sadly.

Internally, she fought with herself. On the one hand, she knew she was manipulating immature minds into a decision that they may regret later on in life. On the other hand, she was so sick and tired of this world – over a thousand years she had lived here and yet the story never changed – that she wanted to leave it, and these dragons were her one way out – no High Sorcerer would open a portal for her, these days. She was using them, yes, she knew. But what she said was the truth – they never would really escape the persecution of Sargonnas or Kiri-Jolith, let alone their brethren, as long as they were on Krynn.

And there was apart of her that never wanted any harm to come to her young charges, especially the chromes, because Valthonis was right, she loved them. They promised something better for this world that the people of Krynn were not ready for. The differences between the chrome and metallic dragons, between elves and humans and dwarves and ogres and all the other assorted races, were only skin deep. If the races would ever work together for more than one or two war, much could be accomplished.

If only those damn gods above stopped playing their power games.

But Kali was done with ‘what ifs’ and ‘if onlys’ – it was time to move on. She couldn’t die, nor could she practice magic – no, Hiddukel had made sure of that. There would be nothing left for her on this world once Valthonis died, except these dragons. All of her friends were long gone, most not even victim to old age as they should have been, but rather, one of the many pointless wars. She thought it would be better without Takhisis, but she had been wrong.

At least these new humans seemed to have better reason for warring than the people of Krynn. Things they believed in, rather than the shape of one’s ears.

She kept her mind away from the mental link, letting them make the decision on their own, but she knew how it would end. They would agree to it.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


They found a flat piece of ground near the coast of the island, and Kali had Furor burn the grass away with her fiery breath to create one giant blackened circle in the earth. Using salt, runes were drawn along the edges of the circle, evoking many questions from the dragons about their particular meanings. Kali humoured them, answering their questions mentally as she worked.

She stood and admired the rune circle. It would have been better with chalk on stone, but this would still work with the combined power of the dragons. Kali leaned over and rummaged through one of her bags, pulling out the only pouch that hadn’t been shrunk for the journey. She reached inside the red velvet pouch and pulled out a large clear diamond, which instantly sparkled in the rays of the setting sun. The other item, a vial of potion that Kali had prepared before, was set down on the ground while she returned the pouch to her bag and looked up at the dragons around her. She was startled to see forty-eight pairs of eyes staring hungrily at her.

Kali blinked and realized that they weren’t staring at her, but rather the diamond in her hand. She had forgotten about a dragon’s obsession with treasure. She laughed, which startled many of the metallics and a few Blues from their reverie, but still, many continued to stare.

‘Ahem,’ she thought to them, which got most of their attentions. Except Vlam. Kali hefted the diamond in her hand, watching as the Red’s head bobbed with the movement. She couldn’t help but laugh again.

“Vlam!” she shouted, and the red dragon looked up at her. She saw a myriad of emotions flash in his eyes before settling on one of indifference. Kali grinned at him – he wasn’t fooling her.

“Yes, well. Never seen a diamond, have you?” They shook their heads in response.

“It’s so pretty…” Gealdra breathed and many nodded in agreement.

“Yes, well, we’re going to have to fix this. Not now, but sometime. I can’t have you all turning obsessive whenever you see something shiny and valuable,” Kali chuckled at their odd expressions.

“We were not obsessing over it!” Pyris protested loudly.

“Oh, yes you were. You can’t help it, though, I know. In your blood – I just had forgotten. But I’ll wean you off getting odd about it,” Kali smirked at the befuddled expressions. “Now, Khindris, you’re going to have to slowly pour this potion,” she picked up the vial, “over the diamond while reciting an incantation. Transform into a mortal, first.”

The gold dragon quickly shape-shifted into his elven form, taking the vial and diamond out of the woman’s hands. Kali told him the spell, and had him say it back to her. Satisfied, she uncorked the vial in his hands and nodded for him to commence. He slowly poured the green potion over the diamond, chanting the incantation. Kali could feel the power moving from him to the diamond as he spoke, and she was surprised she was feeling it through the link. The diamond completely absorbed the thick liquid, flashing a deep green light when Khindris finished reciting the spell. The diamond returned to its clear state, as if nothing had happened, but Kali could feel the magic pulsing off of it. She was surprised at Khindris’s power – she had never felt the spell done like that, before. But then again, she’d never seen a dragon do it, only elves and humans.

“Excellent work, Khindris,” Kali quickly took the diamond back from him, watching with amusement his struggle between pride at her praise and sadness at the loss of the diamond from his possession. She placed the diamond in the middle of the circle, careful not to smudge any of the runes.

“Alright, since the Reds and Golds are the most advanced in their magic, they are going to sustain the portal for us. It’s important that you do not try to distract them from it,” Kali warned, and then turned to the dragons in question. “I’ve made it rather simple for you – between the runes and the diamond, you won’t have to worry about the time or place of the destination or structure of the portal. You just need to keep it open. We’ll see if I got my part right on the place. It’s been a while since I did any portal work, after all.”

She looked around at the other dragons, “All of you will need to shape-shift into a human form – human, mind you, this is a human world, and so you better get used to it – to fit through the portal.” They slowly began to shift into mortal forms. Kali grinned, for they were still all strikingly beautiful. She would have to wean them off of that, in addition to their treasure lust.

She quickly taught the dragons the phrases they needed to know to open and sustain the portal. Dragon magic, as Kali had lectured so long ago, was unlike any other magic in the world, and thus, many things came much simpler to them than it did sorcerers. Kali was increasingly glad for the fact that she wouldn’t have to teach them any complex rituals – they would be here all night, if they didn’t.

It was a surreal experience as the Reds and Golds began to chant the spell. The winds shifted suddenly, and the runes began to glow red, like smoldering coals. Kali watched in fascination as the diamond in the center pulsed a deep green, and then she felt the unexplainable pull on her very being as a rip created in space-time, condensing into a round portal.

The image in the portal flicked into being, and Kali found herself staring at a green countryside of rolling hills, surrounded by sloping mountains. The portal seemed level with the ground on the other side, and Kali congratulated herself for getting a good entry point. It was not uncommon to have portals open into midair.

“There, Kali?” Khindris asked.

“Yes, there,” she answered absent-mindedly, staring at the beautiful scene on the other side. The dragons all looked at her expectantly for directions, and Kali remembered. “Oh. Okay, you’re going to have to go through, one at a time. Who is first?” she looked around, before Valtrex expectantly rushed forward.

“Good, good, Valtrex. You have all my bags, too? That’s a lad. Now, just walk on through – you may feel disorientated when going through, but just keep on going,” she chuckled.

The Silver walked determinedly through the portal and disappeared from sight – it took a moment, a moment full of worry from Kali, but then he appeared on the other side, turning around in mid-stride to wave at his companions through the portal The other dragons cheered at the sight, and one by one, began to enter the portal.

Soon, all that was left were the ten Reds and Golds holding the portal open. Kali knew this was going to be tricky to maneuver, so she spoke calmly, “Aura, Lumina, you first. Disengage from the magic, and walk through,” the two gold females obeyed, and then Kali turned to the Reds.

“Pyris, Korrel, you’re next.” The two males nodded, and she could feel the others began to strain with the loss of power from the four.

“You can do it,” she whispered. “Pyrocina, Binsanth, you’re next.” The two Golds felt the urgency from their fellows, and quickly withdrew and entered the portal. She could see the worried looks of the others looking back at them from the other world.

“Malsalyx, Vlam,” was all she said, and the two Reds quickly entered the portal. She could feel the strain Khindris and Furor were under.

“Okay, this is what we’re going to do. Furor is going to let up first, and I want you to get through as quick as you can, okay, Furor?” the Red nodded. “Khindris, the moment she is through, you let off and go as well.”

“But what about you?” the Gold turned his pale eyes to her.

“The portal should hold up long enough for me to go through after you – I will need to grab the diamond on my way out, or else others may be able to follow us to this world,” Kali explained.

“Why can’t one of us grab it?” Furor asked suddenly. “How do we know you won’t just run off with it?”

Kali stared at her, “Furor. Think. This diamond was mine, originally. What could possibly come over me to suddenly decide to run off with it and leave you stranded in another world?”

The Red had the decency to blush profusely, and Khindris muttered, “I can see why you want to cure us of that problem with treasure.”

Kali nodded at him, chuckling, “Besides, the magical shock would kill you.”

“And not you?” Khindris stared at her.

“I can’t die,” Kali said solemnly.

The two dragons’ eyes widened at this statement. They all knew Kali had lived quite longer than any other human, but they figured that she was bound by the same mortality of them all.

“Quickly, you two!” she urged, sensing the portal becoming unstable.

Furor dropped her magic and rushed through, quickly followed by Khindris. Kali was not one to waste time, taking one look at the world around her, before stepping through the portal, grabbing the diamond from its mound of dirt as she stepped into the green abyss.

The seconds that passed by felt like hours – maybe it was hours, though. She kept walking. Maybe it was years or centuries or entire eras. Time seemed to have no meaning, and yet she could feel it slipping around her – it was an odd sensation, she had not felt Time for a very long time, and for a moment, she was mortal again, before finally she felt herself falling…down, down, further and further.

Suddenly, she hit a brisk air and felt time recede away from her. She was now actually falling through the air, the diamond clutched in her hand. Her mind belatedly realized that the portal must have shifted, and she saw one of the Coppers, Quemadura, dive to catch her in the air, but it was too late. Kali hit the ground with a loud, sickening thud.

Her head filled with cries of terror and worry as the dragons circled around her, some in human form, some in their true form. Kali’s mind was full of pain – it felt like all her bones were broken, and her heart had burst inside of her chest at the impact. But she was still conscious, she was still alive, and she began to feel her bones and tissue knit back together, her bruised organs beginning to repair themselves.

‘I’m fine!’ she thought to the dragons that were gathering at her side, crooning in worry. Their relief was palpable. She chuckled once her vocal cords had been repaired, ‘I don’t want any of you to try to survive a fall from that height, do you hear me?’ she scolded mockingly.

She saw a silver claw in front of her, and, sensing that her bones had completely healed, she reached up to grab it, pulling herself to her feet. She smiled up at Valtrex in gratitude, and looked around to the others.

‘There is still quite a bit of work to do, before we can explore this world more fully. First, we must work on your human forms. Human, mind you, not elf, not irda, not anything else. Just human, like I said earlier. Oh, don’t scowl at me like that, Pyris, you’ll live. We must keep incognito – which means, we must blend in. Which also means, no stunningly beautiful people,’ she grinned as a few ducked their heads in acknowledgement.

“Now,” she reverted back to spoken word, “let’s get started!”